ok can you help me again...

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

october004
Groupie

ok can you help me again...

Post by october004 »

I put a post on here and zebra pleco a couple weeks back about some small worm like things that are in my tank. I haven't noticed them in a while but while I was cleaning today I happened to look closely at my bio 10 filter and saw that the whole thing looks full of these "worms"! What do I do? Should I pull out the filter or should I leave well enough alone?
october004
Groupie

Post by october004 »

I feed blood worms...that are frozen. How do I kill them? Will the zebras eat them and will they hurt the zebs?
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

i realy would not know can however give you a few OPINOINS
they might interfere with breeding ive read about somthing or other that looks like a worms not being good in a tank of zebras somthing about eating eggs

and i would just try to syphon them out
as to the filter hmm thats tough take it out and make an attempt at removing them all? might be hard not to mentoin endangering the bio populatoin stuff

i cant realy think of a way to deal with it can we have some images so were not shooting at random objects in london fog at night (thats about how dark we are until you describe them/post a pic of them)
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

If the worms are in the filter only they could be detritus eating worms, which to the best of my knowledge will not harm the fish. One way of getting rid of them is to "mature" another set of filter materials, put them in your filter (so as not to upset the biological balance of the tank) then treat the existing materials with an anti-parasite agent which will get rid of all the worms and eggs. This however will also kill the bacteria in this filter materials, so you will need to let the materials "mature" again.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

How big are they and can you get any pics? You really need to know what they are so as to know the best way to get rid of them. I remember about 3 years ago finding two 3" pinkish red worms in the substrate of my community tank. I was breaking it down at the time so i didn't find out what they where. :(