Is my zebra eating?

If it isn't to late, and you're desperately looking for some advice, hopefully someone can help you out.

october004
Groupie

Is my zebra eating?

Post by october004 »

I am a little perplexed... I have a zebra that I have recently attained. Every night about nine I shut off the filter and bubbles and drop blood worms and brine shrimp within a couple inches of the cave he is in ( I was puuting right in front of the cave but he would just fan his tail and knock it away) But I never see him eat. I turn off all the lights except a light in the kitchen which casts just enough light so I can tell if he comes out or not. I leave my filters off for an hour and then turn them back on. Now the last few nights I have layed on our couch not moving for that hour and I see him lay in front of the cave but he never goes to the food. What should I do? I can't leave the filters off but when I turn it on the currant takes the food and it's gone. But at the same time I sure don't want to lose my fish! I mean how long does it take for them to starve? I have had him a week and a 1/2. He seems fine and it seems every morning he is in a different cave but how do I know he is eating? I know this is a long post but I appreciate any help I could get! :shock:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Look for any excrement....that should be the best sign if you don't see him eating. Of course if he's sharing a tank with 50 other fish that would be somewhat difficult.
I do the same as you, turn off all filters etc..drop in food...leave for 30 mins and then turn everything back on. I've noticed mine will only look for food for about 15 minutes and then go back to hiding. However once i turn the filters etc back on they will commence feeding again. Basically I think they sense movement, and seeing the bloodworm moving round ithe aquarium floor in the current is far more tempting to them than a dead once just lying there.
Although most fish can survive for a week and a half without food if he's in a different cave every morning then he's moving round the tank..which is certainly a good sign. Chances are you're just not seeing him eat.

Have you tried any other food other than brine shrimp and bloodworm? Mine also love Daphnia, Beefheart, Shrimp and Cichlid mix.
october004
Groupie

Post by october004 »

I have some beef heart and will try it. I was told that blood worms was the best to get them eating. I have not seen any terds but then again my filters seem to keep the whole tank spic and span. I have him in a 55 gallon by himself but I am getting some more next week.