Belo Monte Damn

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Belo Monte Damn

Post by Rob »

Undoutedly the greatest threat to the inhabitants of the rio Xingu, and other tributaries.

The damn has been sanctioned by the Brazilian government as a means of Electricity production. The damn has been in peoples minds for over ten years now, yet applications have always been refused on environmental grounds. Late last year however the plans were sanctioned, and the project is now due to start.

Does anyone have any first hand information on this, and how it will affect the surrounding environment?

Rob
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Rob,

Here is some information:
http://www.amazonwatch.org/amazon/BR/bm ... _number=99

This Belo Monte Dam is indeed a considerable threat. Not only to our beloved Zebra plecos but to a complete unique ecosystem.

Gabriel
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Excellent link gabriel.

Some good info

cheers
Adam

Post by Adam »

I have come across some more theories about the future of our beloved zebras and the reason for declining numbers. I haven't been able to substantiate any of them, they may just be rumours unless someone here knows any different.

We've all heard about the dams that are due to be built along the Rio Xingu and the threat that this poses to the wild zebra population.

Also most of us have heard about the possibility of zebras being placed on the list of CITIES protected species.

In addition to these I have also heard that their natural habitat is being slowly poisoned by mineral minning which is why they are becoming more scarce.

Another rumour is that the Brazillian government intend to ban all zebra exports for 2 to 3 years so that the wild population can recover as they are currently being overfished.

Yet another rumour I've heard is that the zebra population is not in decline and that the majority of zebras are being sold to the Japanese as they are willing to pay 3 to 4 times the price for them, apparently they have gone zebra crazy. You could therefore understand why a wholesaler would prefer to supply the Japanese market.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I can confirm that the Japanese/ asian market are paying £175 - £200 per fish as i know a chap who sells them for that price over there :shock:
The japanese market pay over the odds for fish so all the best discus and most other fish come to that go there, we are left with teh dregs so to speak :x
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

I've been after some L098s for a while now but I've been told that the vast majority go to the Japanese market. So it appears that there is some truth in this rumour, looks like I'll never get the L098s then. :x
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam ,
Just received a reply from a Brazilian supplier saying that Zebras are now US$70 each @5-8cm, before other costs such as transport ,packaging , duties etc. and stated that it would take 20 to 30 days to catch , since they were scarce.
Spoke to a uk wholesaler at the weekend and he confimed that price.
Du Ma is buying Zebras for $85, I believe in America. That seems pretty cheap.
Could always find out the price of L98 if available,if youre interested. Send me a pm.
Des. :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Done mate, sent you a PM.
Tom26000

Rumours

Post by Tom26000 »

I have heard it said that some suppliers are actually breeding zebras in large numbers in large tanks by the side of the Xingu. I think the only reason we are paying the high prices is due to supply and demand. It makes business sense to supply fewer fish but sell them for A LOT more money. I just hope enough of us guys can start regularly spawning L046s then maybe the prices may fall - heres hoping. :)

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

I've heard a similar story Tom, not that they are being bred in great numbers but that supply is being restricted on purpose so that prices can be kept artificially high. I don't know about this one as I honestly believe that the number of zebras are generally in decline.
Tom26000

in addition

Post by Tom26000 »

I should also have said that I received this information from an L no importer last week. Apparently these L046s are breed next to the river using the river water and are sold as wild, because they are "virtually" wild.

I suppose the flip side is that at least someone is breeding them in large numbers whatever their price so this has to be good news if the wild population numbers are in fact falling, which is very sad to think of. Its strange how marine systems are given so much protection yet tropical freshwater beauties are left to fend for themselves?? :(

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

Perhaps that's why there are so many zebras under 2" being sold at the moment. I remember in years gone by that zebras in the 3" to 4" size range were a lot more common.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Some more info on the Belo MOnte damn project here. If anyone is interested, the parent site is very useful

http://forests.org/action/brazil/
Fishcake

Post by Fishcake »