Zebra exports banned.

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Sharko,

Saw something similar on PC. That translation is pretty hard going, I'll have a few more drinks and it should make perfect sense. :lol:

The last time I ended up getting this confused was when I watched Matrix 3. Maybe I've had too much xmas spirit. :oops:
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Here is a link to the Brazilian RED list, courtesy of Yann on planet catfish.

http://www.mma.gov.br/port/sbf/fauna/lista.html

L046 zebra is on the bottom of the list.

Regards,
Des.
wandj
Obsessed!!

Cites

Post by wandj »

Hypancistrus zebra Isbrücker & Nijssen, 1991
Nome popular: Cascudo-zebra
UF: PA

Well, here it is! Thanks Des. So what's this really mean? And what Barbie mentioned, how do we sell what we have (fry)? Microchip? Paperwork? I'm scared. :?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Wandj,
Dont worry , this is not a Cites list. As far as I am aware, it is a Brazilian Restricted list. For further information please see the info on Planet catfish.
Regards,
Des.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The info at Planet Catfish also lists them as being scheduled to be listed on the CITES list. Somewhere. I'll see if I can find it the next time I'm digging up reference material. At least now we know there will be no more exports. The rest of it will just have to come out in the wash.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Allo!
I was at Big Al's today and the staff told me that Zebra exports are banned. So it's true. Sounds like all the suppliers are saying the same thing. I wonder how long? Permanent?
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

I believe that the number of zebras being exported has been limited...not banned. I just picked up 33 of them in the middle of November. I believe I can get more at any time. I was holding off for 20 tank-raised zebras. I will check further on this, later on today!
Rich
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

No Rich, the exports have been completely stopped. The tank raised fry will be the only ones you get your hands on now. I've had it from a few very reliable sources. I was also warned it was coming, but that news made people crabby that it was a scam designed to send the price through the roof, so I stopped bringing it up :)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Rich,

Are you the chap getting the 20 from Alan in Derbyshire then?

If so can I buy four of them please? :wink: I had my name down until someone came in with a deposit for all 20! :(

With regards to the ban on Zebras I have spoken to two importers who have said they have banned collection from the Xingu, not just Zebras!! :shock:

Cheers

Tom
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

Hi Tom,
No, I'm not buying them from Alan. I live in the US. I have heard about restrictions on other plecos as well. The restrictions were regarding the numbers of fish exported...not a total ban. I have called my source to get more info. It is sunday right now, and tomorrow is a holiday. I should have an answer within the next 48 hours. I will post something as soon as I find out.
Rich
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Rich,

Good luck in getting your Zebras. I will be very interested to hear what you find out. I think this time the rumours have become reality. But there have been so many false calls in the past I think people aren't sure what to believe.

Cheers

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Fishnut2,

Here in the Uk around the London area, all the retailers and wholesalers I have spoken to have not been able to get any new stock for a few weeks and have also told me that a ban was in force.(See the Red list earlier in this forum)I believe that the last Brazilian shipments were made early December.

Regards,
Des.
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

Unfortunately...I am new to this site. The only person that knows me is Barbie. I promised to post what I found out...and here it is! Keep in mind, that I'm not selling any fish/trying to impress anyone/or making up stories to have a good laugh. Here is what I found out. It's bound to cause some contraversy :D
I spent 2-1/2 hours on the phone with my supplier. He has discussed this issue, with several of his suppliers. Believe what you want...but I have no reason to BS anybody! :wink:
He believes that there's a new person that just took over the control of the exportation of Brazilian fish. It's very common in fish (as well as other things) when somebody new takes over...the rules start to change. He said that the real issue here...is a problem with new requirements regarding exportation. The new person in charge, is holding back ANY fish, that don't have proper species and genus documentation. Yes; the zebras are Hypancistrus species...but they don't have a specific genus. That is why exportation of other types of plecos (and other fish) have been halted. Sloppy documentation has gone on for years...but the new person in charge is laying down the law on it now. Zebras aren't on the Cites list yet...and haven't been officially put on the threatened or endangered yet.
He "speculates" that they are stockpiling zebras (as well as other fish) in the holding facilities...until this problem gets cleared up. He also said he wouldn't be surprised if the price of zebras actually dropped (due to the stockpiling) once this problem is resolved.
I know that this probably sounds ridiculous to some/most people...but time will tell. I promised to post what I found out...and there it is. :shock:
I'd also like to point out - that I could've bought as many zebras as I wanted from him right now...but they are currently 1"...and $80 a piece wholesale. I won't get into the reason why he has them, and apparently not many others do right now. He told me to hold off for now...as he expects bigger ones in, for the same price, within the next 2 weeks.
I'm a simple breeder, and I don't get involved in resale...so PLEASE don't ask. I will gladly sell any of my fry, once they are available. (US and possibly Canada only)
Thanks for listening...and please don't think I'm crazy (YET) :P
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Rich,

I wish I knew your supplier. I would snap up some zebras at $80/each!!! :shock:

What you say makes sense but I wouldn't believe many stories at the moment regarding plec imports.

It wouldn't surprise me either way at the moment. But if this dam is going to be built I would personally empty the Xingu of all its fish. At least use fish keepers would do our best by these fish. Controversial but why let them die in the river?

Cheers

Tom
AJ
Forum Follower

zebras on the list

Post by AJ »

hi guys im from london, called a well known supplier and he told he cant get them as they are now on the list. i have heard this from many shops as well as suppliers, does anyone have anymore info thanx?