cleaning gravel?

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

Hitch
Groupie

cleaning gravel?

Post by Hitch »

Hey

So I am still getting ready for my zebras, but there is something that has been bugging me for some time now.

Most of the pleco tanks I had in the past and most of the ones I have seen on this and other websites show a tank heavily stacked with caves, rock crevices, and wood. My question is how do you clean the gravel on your regular cleaning?

the obvious way is to take out everything, but that is way too stressful for the plecos. So how do you guys do it?

thanks
John

Post by John »

I don't i have a bare bottom :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Hitch
Groupie

Post by Hitch »

ya, it seems that many do. But I cant stand the look of a bare tank...:/

but even with a bare tank, doesnt the debris get stuck in the cracks and what not?
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Hitch

I also have bare bottom tanks the debris does get stuck under bits of slate and rock work and caves but I find easier to keep clean than say gravel.
I know you don't like the look of bare bottom tanks and your answer to the problem might be to tile (slate) and seal the bottom of the tank over the glass I have seen this talked about on other threads on the net. Seems good idea to me and probably looks cool as well. 8)

Hope this helps Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Hitch
Groupie

Post by Hitch »

ya, I was actually thinking of the slate tiling technique, though I am leaving it as a last resort kinda thing.

I am currently trying to plan/theorize the best way to create/minic the natural environment of Rio Xingu.

When the debris gets trapped, do you have any tips on how to go about cleaning it?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

If one has set up a proper tank for their zebras, they should have decent flow in the tank. High flow and substrate can often be at odds, which is another reason zebras keepers often opt for bare bottom.

One of the things that happens in almost any tank, but especially ones with higher flow/current, is that debris tend to collect for the most part in a few areas where there is shelter from the flow. the trick is to identify these areas and then to concentrate on them.

I have also found that my refill method which utilizes a pump, hose and sprinkler nozzle tends to dislodge a lot of the debris I missed and they get moved to where I can get them out during the refilling process.

As for their natural environment, read the article one this site - Click on Home at the top left of the page and then click Habitat. I am not so sure how easy it is to recreate their habitat in a smaller home aquaium.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.