Blue eyes and blood worms

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

nick
Forum Follower

Blue eyes and blood worms

Post by nick »

Hi
At what size in cm (eg at say 3cm in sizes) do you start feeding you fry blood worms? Mine love it.

And with some zebra plecs they have blue eyes and others don’t does anyone know the reason for this?
if it is to be then its up to us!
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Yeah, 3 cm is a good size for frozen blood worms. The live ones is a bit risky though. You just have to becareful the first couple of times you feed them as that's when the choking happens. Once the get used to the blood worm, it's OK to feed them regularly.

As for the blue eyes zebras. It's fuzy, but I think if I remember correctly. They develope blue eyes as a result of using to much methenol blue to treat them for desease. I am not %100 sure on the methanol blue, but I do remeber is some kind of fish medic used to treat fish during transport. If you add to much, that's what happened. It's actually pretty common for plecos.
coralite
Groupie

Re: Blue eyes and blood worms

Post by coralite »

The Zebra pleco sometimes has blue eyes. Not sure why some have more pronounced blue to their eyes but I have one which has eyes as blue as my blue eye pleco and others with a dark stripe through the eye that totally obscures any color.
it's not in my nature to be mysterious, I just can't talk about it and I can't say why.