Keeping the eggs and fry clean

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Keeping the eggs and fry clean

Post by McEve »

I was so worried about nr 14 in my batch. I had given him up, but left him in the fry trap as I didn't had a heart to get rid of him until there was absolutely no life left in him.

He was covered in empty egg shells that stuck to him, he had slimey bits stuck to his youlk sack, and he looked like he was about to get attacked by fungis. he was a mess :(

Then I noticed two snails in the fry trap. I decided to leave them there, as I know they *should* only eat dead stuff, so I thought "got nothing to loose anyways... *sob*" kind of thing you know :cry:

Now, after 6 hours, the fry trap is cleaned of any remainder of gunk and egg shells. And - the fry's youlk sack is clean, and there's life in the little sweetheart! I'm beginning to believe that he will indead pull through!

The snails are the small black ones that are considered a pest in most tanks. I keep them for harvesting as an extra delicious snack for my clown botia that lives in a different tank :) (yes, I'm out catching flies for my African Butterfly fish as well :D )

So this makes me wonder, is it possible that one might be able to trust these snails to clean the eggs and fry? Anybody got any experience with this?

I'm very well aware of what happened might be a fluke only, so I will in no way reccomend to allow the snails to be together with the eggs and fry, but can't help wonder.... :?:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI McEve

it is true, I've used water louse in the past, which do the same as the snails. They only eat the dead matter, and keep the live things clean.

Aparently it is quite common to use them in corydoras breeding.

I used them in a batch in stead of Methylyne blue, and they worked wonders.

cool :lol:

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Useful little buggers in other words :D

Nr 14 did pull through, and have now joined the group in the other fry trap. It's really quite amazing, he was so covered in gunk that I didn't think he had a tail. I could see his head moving when trying to wriggle, which is why I left him, hoping against all reason that he might have a chanse.

I was amazed when he after only a few hours was all clean :shock:

Happy ending so far! :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

I heard about using snails for this purpose a while back but quickly dismissed it as a myth for fear of them eating the eggs. I have some corys in the hatching process at the moment and I may well give it a try. All I need now are some snails, I'm sure I spotted a few small ones in my Endlers tank.

I had a horrendous snail problem in two of my tanks about a year ago, I didn't fancy a chemical solution and opted to catch as many as I could on a daily basis but I couldn't keep up with the prolific little buggers. I introduced a couple of clown loach in each tank and they had the problem licked in under a week.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Hopefully i will get to the stage where I am faced with the problem of mouldy eggs. At the moment any eggs will do !
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Adam

Post by Adam »

You took the words right out of my mouth Tristan. :lol:
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Remember to keep the ligth low where the eggs are.
That way You are reducing in big way the form of fungus.
No need to mention clean too. 8)
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi All
I use snails in my ram ,killi, and cory tanks....great for keeping the eggs clean if mum and dad have to be removed,and they are a good source of infusoria for small fry
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

What kind of snails are we speaking abut? Just any that you normally get in a planted tank?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The snails that cleaned up my fry is the normal black tiny pest snail.

When you get real close you can see they have spots on them, but normally they look black :P
Adam

Post by Adam »

Those are the same little buggers that I have, it's good to have finally found a use for them. I have already used them on some C.Sterbai eggs and they did a great job. I'm now farming them in my Endlers tank, got quite a colony going. I have a clear out now and then, I throw a load in the community tank for the clown loaches.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: I have a clear out now and then, I throw a load in the community tank for the clown loaches.
:lol: That's excactly my strategi as well! The clown loaches loves it when it's cleaning out time :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

The only problem with this is the clean up operation afterwards, all the empty snail shells can make quite a mess. I tend to feed the day before a water change so that both water and shells can be siphoned out the following day. :lol:
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi ,
I currently use a dwarf puffer to clean up any snails moving him from tank to tank.I tried Clown Loaches but they always turned belly up, with the introduction of any medication containing copper. He (or She) is in the Shrimp tank at the moment and hasnt harmed any shrimp.
Regards,
Des. :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Des the dwarf puffer you mentioned, is (s)he also known as a figure of eight puffer? I had one of these years ago and it was a terrible fin nipper. :x