needing a hint or tip

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

civicr
Obsessed!!

needing a hint or tip

Post by civicr »

my zeb tank has currenty a snail problem.i got a new bit of bogwood with java fern on it and now snails have taken over.

any 1 got any ideas how to get rid of them??im my community tank my clown loches do the bizz.but what wouldbe best for my zeb tank thanks ryan
snr69
Obsessed!!

ditto

Post by snr69 »

I also have snails since buying some java fern.... I pick them out, but it's a real pain and I'm going to have to strip the whole tank out if there isn't an easy way to remove...

Simon
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

put food/veggie in a dish overnight and lift them out in the morning.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
snr69
Obsessed!!

Post by snr69 »

simple :-)
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

Get hold of a chain loach. Small, Peacfull, Wont be much compition for food, Hardy. Perfect :D
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have sidthimunkis and would not want to put them in with zebras that are spawning. they are agressive eaters and i can't say they wont eat fry. I have a nasty problem in 2 of my zebra tanks which came with them. I stphon a lot of snails out at water changes. The problem isnt the snails as much as all the eggs they produce. No matter how many snails you get out manually, more will come.

The good news is they dont seem to have any effect on either the breeders or the fry in the tanks.

About the only way to get rid of them is to break down the tank, move the zebs only and then let everything else dry out for a while to kill the lot. The eggs may be able to survive w/o water for a while in their gelatinous sac.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Went to a club meeting, speaker had a pic of the fish he was talking about, but then noted a beer bottle on its side in the tank. It was cleaned out, he said he put food in it and the snails went into it, he would take it out the in a day or two. Now he was raising larger fish, so it may not work for us with baby zebras, but maybe it gives ideas for other ways.

I have to agree with tearing down the tank to really get rid of the snails. Loaches will work, but I wouldn't want try them with fry.
Dale