Light spectrum

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Light spectrum

Post by McEve »

I'm planning a project where I'm going to build a custom cave with room for the web cam. The web cam will record what's going on inside the cave.

So here's the problem. What kind of light can I use that will make good enough light for the web cam, but will not disturb the Zebra? The Zebra will have to think it's dark. I was thinking a red diode..? Any suggestions? The light will have to be able to fit onto a long thin cable so that I can make it fit through a pipe going in to the chamber where the web cam is.

I'm just a peeping tom I guess :D But it would be interesting to see what's going on inside the cave wouldn't it 8)
Last edited by McEve on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi McEve,

I've been looking at doing something similar. Night vision is the way to go as some of these cameras will have an automatic infrared lighting funtion that will help to produce images in total darkness. The use of any other type of lighting is likely to either disturb the fish or not be sufficient to produce good images. Heres a link for the camera I've been looking at:

http://www.icode.co.uk/icatcher/cctvsho ... merse.html

Check out the datasheet, it's fairly small in size and is 37mm x 75mm. It's a bit pricey but I think it's well worth the money.

I have shelved the idea for the moment as I need to get another tank and some digital water testers instead.
dr_gribb

Post by dr_gribb »

That’s a very nice toy! All waterproof.

The same site had another cam:
http://www.icode.co.uk/icatcher/cctvshop/media/mir.html

This is not waterproof, but anything can be sealed.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi dr gribb,

Are you a medical doctor because I have this pain in my knee.......... :lol:

That is quite a bit of kit there, it's always Xmas for me because I love "toys". Unfortunately they are usually expensive. :lol:

Personally I would opt for the submersible camera as then you are 100% sure that it will not suffer water damage, unless your plan for waterproofing is failsafe. I wouldn't chance it if I were you, I knackered a web cam in my pond. :(
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

What a great idea :!: :!:
I looked at these cameras but couldnt see the prices? does anybody know if you can get a similar camera without cables so it would be infra red or something like that,as my tank is in the shed?
dr_gribb

Post by dr_gribb »

Hi Adam;

Sorry, but Im no medic... :wink:

Making tings 100% waterproof is trickey, if one needs to have acsess to the cam. The question is: Can it be done in the first try? The easy way is to opt with the submersible one, and skip try&error...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Dan,

Long time, where you been hiding. I was starting to think that you had sold up or something. :lol: Oh, if you do get fed up I'll have your zebras. :lol: :lol:

About the wireless night vision camera, let me know if you find one as that's what I'm really looking for I can't be bothered with laying cables.

The price for this camera is £169.95.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

But the fish would see IR? InfraRed would be a light source for them wouldn't it?

has there been done any research on this? I'll look for links about this, but if you guys find anything it would be much apreciated :)

dr_gribb wouldn't be able to do much for you knee Adam, but he can fix just about anything else :lol:

As for water proof - the camera doesn't have to be inside the chamber when it's tested for leaks :shock: Just have to make sure the chamber is tested properly first ;)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

McEve wrote:But the fish would see IR? InfraRed would be a light source for them wouldn't it?
I take that back - it would be ultra violet they can see, wouldn't it..? Infra Red gives possibilities if that's the case! :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve,

I wouldn't worry about the the fish being disturbed by the IR light as it can't be seen. These are the type of cameras that are used for wild life programmes, you've seen the ones where they have a camera in a birds nest or in a foxes den.

The camera on ebay looks ok but the things to watch out for are: will you be able to waterproof it? What is the mininmum lux(illumination) level that it can still take pictures at? Does it have an inbuilt IR light? If not you will have to provide an independant light source.

Let us know how you get on, I will be watching this one with great interest.
Move over David Attenborough here comes McEve. :lol: Sorry this might be a UK only joke.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

oh, David Attenbourough is world famous, no problem with that joke :D I somehow don't think I'll reach the same level of fame with this project though :D :D

I might have come up with solution that will enable the camera to sit outside the tank - maybe... if that works it will be a lot easier to do this!

I'll let you know when everything is set up :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve, I was going to suggest that you may want to consider putting the camera outside of the tank. It would make things easier; cut down on costs, solve your waterproofing problem and cause less disturbance for the zebras.

Just thinking aloud.
dr_gribb

Post by dr_gribb »

This will be a nice peepshow, if ti works out. The biggest if mest be: Will the male like his new cave? We will see.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Look at this!
Thank you for your interest in Infrared, Inc. Unfortunately we are unable
to assist you with your request. Infrared imaging can not see through
water.
:shock: :cry:

that's a downer...... back to the drawingboard ...