Spawn Triggers

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

Shimmy
Groupie

Spawn Triggers

Post by Shimmy »

Thought this might be of use to some people...

I have just managed to start breeding the little fellas in july of this year and they continued to produce up until the middle of September then they stopped!!!!

My initial response was the seasonal thing that I have read regarding the three months they tend to breed in then stop. But I tried a few things in my tank after four weeks to see if anything would have any results.

Firstly I use a spray bar from a power head turning over 12 times the volume an hour, but the tube had become a little worn so replaced it to return the spray from the back of the tank to the front slightly angled down. I left this for about a fortnight and no signs of any kind of activity. Then I have become a bit lasy and had not done a water change over a week and the water level had dropped so the crashing water from the spay bar onto the surface was making such a racket that when the wife went to bed she insisted it was keeping her awake so I was forced to turn the power head off!!!! (other halfs hey) We to my surprise the following morning there were a male and female in the spawn site and subsequent eggs have been made.

Obviously this experiment has not been tried offen enough to see if this was the reason they spawned but I dont know if anyone else has tried this and had any kind of results.
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

To all my grammar is appauling so I apologise in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

My filter got a little gunged up last week and I noticed the spray bar had reduced quite a lot. I cleaned the filter (Eheim 2224) the next morning, including a substantial water change and it's back to full power. So far nothing yet, but I'll keep my eyes open. You never know!! :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've noticed this too shimmy, and have this tip included in the article :D