3-D Viewing

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

Fishnut2
Groupie

3-D Viewing

Post by Fishnut2 »

Most hobbiests view thier tanks in the traditional - eye level- side view. Turn off all your filters/aeration/and powerheads...and view your fish from above. This is what I call the collector's view. While it isn't extremely informative, it does give you another perspective, to your setup. The view I really enjoy...and learn a LOT from, is what I call the breeder's view. You'll need a bare bottom set-up...but you'll discover a whole new world of zebra plecos. My set-up is a single tier rack, with ALL bare bottom tanks. Grab a pillow (and maybe even a camera) and lay on your back, directly under the tank. Suddenly; most of those hiding become visible...without disturbing your fish! Under the bogwood/open bottom caves/underneath rocks...all becomes visible :D You'll see courting/eating/general play/and get a quicker look at any injuries (an injured fish will generally hide). It also makes sexing zebras a lot easier!
Try it...you'll like it :wink:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Sounds good Rich. Can't quite squeeze my head inbetween my bottom tank and the filter, but tank 2 and 3 are definately getting the "pillow treatment"! :lol:

This can also help when checking new fish are eating well.

Welcome back sir!! :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

ahh....thats old. I did that two years ago :lol:
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

Hi du ma,
I'm curious. Since you've been using this technique for 2 years now...have you found it beneficial? I've been using it over 20 years now. While it has limited advantages for fish like cories (my specialty), I've found it extremely useful for the zebras. The cories are active and out in the open, while the zebras like to hide a lot.
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

i view mine from the bottom of the tank. they dont do much but hide most of the time. I do get to see them to catching the blackworms I throw in though. They feel more comfortable when I peek at them from the bottom since they dont know that I am there
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

so should i get a metal stand and have a BB portoin i dont want this tank to look to hideous it is a show tank at the same time (that would be what i call a tank that i show to people who walk in as a pose to a tank that sits in a far corner and has breeding/cultuering purposes)
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

Hi Buddy,
If you only have a portion of the tank bare bottom, you probably won't see much using this method. I can appreciate the beauty of well planned show tank...and can understand why you want to have one.
As a breeder...and someone that wants to learn as much as I can about zebras...the 3-D viewing works well for me. The people that stop by my house, know I'm a breeder. They aren't expecting to see any show tanks.
Most people that visit my fishroom, are more impressed with a male sitting on a clutch of eggs. Or a grow-out tank full of fry.
The 3-D viewing isn't for everybody. But I figured a few...hardcore zebra fanatics, might want to give it a try. It really does open up a different understanding of fishkeeping. The view from under the tank provides information that you normally can't get, when the fish are hiding. And we all know zebras LOVE to hide!
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

guess what i found a place i can get a 50 and a 20g for $100 dollars im not gonna tell though becuase i dont want competoin on the bids :p so maybe ill have the 20 bare

PS its pick up anyway so i doupt it would matter either way i hope noone but me bids :D
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

thebuddy wrote:guess what i found a place i can get a 50 and a 20g for $100 dollars im not gonna tell though becuase i dont want competoin on the bids :p so maybe ill have the 20 bare

PS its pick up anyway so i doupt it would matter either way i hope noone but me bids :D
Dude, you just put a link to it on another post...not exactly secret is it? :D
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

i posted that one first then the link after i decided it was safe
lrry93
Obsessed!!

Post by lrry93 »

So why dont you guys just set up a web cam under your tank so you can record and track data or behavior you find. Makes alot more sense to me then breaking your neck laying under there. Im not sure why but I kinda have respect for a guy that can lay under his tank for hours. What have you picked up from using this method so far that you couldnt from the side view? Do you think it has helped enough to justify this.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

The only real benefits I can see are:

1. It allows you a view of them without them realising it...so they may act in a more natural fashion rather than racing off to hide each they see you.

2. Assuming you use a cave with no base, you could potentially see them spawning, which would definitely be worth it.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

hmm sounds like that would be fun i told my mom i would make the 20 a ciclid tank if i get it so now im stuck but i will quarintine them in there before tearing it down and resetting it up for the chiclids maybe ill get a chance to look at what gender they are based on that venting article