River Tanks

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

hullensien

River Tanks

Post by hullensien »

Hi all

I quite like the look of the river tank set-ups using submerged filters and power heads. I am going to build a modified version of this by extending some silicon air tube up from the sponges and out of the water to drag some air into the system and blow it back through the power heads. The system seems quite a good idea to me but I don't see anyone using it in any of the set-up pics posted. Is there any reason why this isn't more commonly used.

thanks

colin
Balken89
Groupie

Re: River Tanks

Post by Balken89 »

if i understand you corectly you will build something that often exists on a powerhead that makes airbubbles ? if thats the case that dosent make more oxygen in the water and if it dose its not alot at all. but if you want alot of oxygen you should make alot off current/movement in the surface. plz correct me if am wrong. but that is what i have been learned:)
Ocelot2000
Forum Follower

Post by Ocelot2000 »

In regards to oxygen in the water, what is the difference with air coming from the surface being churned or air being pumped through like the OP is saying? I'm trying to read so many posts to understand but I'm starting to feel like one of those people who needs a manual to understand the manual :)

Thanks!
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Yes most power heads have a venturi setup for aeration. And you can use a powerhead for a river setup.

There is no real difference between roiling the surface with a hang one filter or with or bubbles that rise up and roil the surface. It is the amount of surface agitation that counts.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
hullensien

Post by hullensien »

Yes - I could use a powerhead with a venturi, but the question was more with regard to does anyone actually the river system with the sponges at one end and power heads at the other. There's quite a good thread on how to build one on the forum but I don't see any being used in any of the tank set-ups.

regds

colin
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

To answer your question, I think the reason you don't see those setups very often is because of a few factors.

The main one being you don't actually need a setup like that to actually breed the l46(that is if you want to keep the 46 in the tank).
Another one could be the aesthetics factor; it's not easy to hide all the technique behind it imo.
It also brings implications such as feeding your fish, you'll have to make sure the food actually reaches the fish.
That last part might even be harder if you're keeping the l46 in that tank, it's a well known fact that the 46 won't put much effort in finding his dinner. :wink:

Not sure what topic you were talking about but here's one of my favorite river tank setups:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... f=4&t=8819

Good luck!
hullensien

Post by hullensien »

Thanks har_eh

yes - aesthetically it wouldn't be too good - you've got me thinking now

I've had a look at the link you posted and that looks a better option as you wouldn't see the sponges

Whatever set-up I go for I would drop food in the tank first to see where flow positions it before siting my caves