Marbled Hatchetfish - tankmate ?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

duonri
Forum Follower

Marbled Hatchetfish - tankmate ?

Post by duonri »

Hi all,

Carnegiella Strigata - Marbled Hatchetfish are small, stand up to 30c, take the upper water, surface eater, no food competitor.

I wonder what you think of Marbled Hatchetfish as Zebs tankmate ?

Thanks.
TwoTankAmin

Re: Marbled Hatchetfish - tankmate ?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I keep my zebras in species tanks. The only exception was when I had to park a couple of wc males fore a few years. I put them in with some discus.

The answer to you question would depend on how your zebra tank is setup in terms of current. While zebras are well adapted to live in a very high flow environment, they do not need this to survive. Normal current with well oxygenated water is fine for them. Hatchets however live in much stiller waters with less strong current.

So the answer is if you have a higher flow tank for your zebras, I would not get hatchets. If it has a more reduced flow, they will probably work OK.

My issue has always been- zebras cost a lot of money, hatchets and many other fish are cheap by comparison. I would not be upset if a tetra caught something from a zebra and the tetra died. I can not say the reverse would be true.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
duonri
Forum Follower

Re: Marbled Hatchetfish - tankmate ?

Post by duonri »

Thanks !