slate tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

sparkee
Groupie

slate tank

Post by sparkee »

i have just set up a new tank for my zebras. its a 4 foot by 14" by 14" ive lined the bottom and back with slate and was wondering if anyone has had experance with a slate lined tank.
thanks
sparkee
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Sparkee,

I'm not too sure what you mean. :? Have you siliconed the slate on the back and bottom of the aquarium or is it just loosely placed ? If you have layers of slate I have heard of someone who done something similar and was successful in breeding his zebras. He had his tank on a metal stand and the bottom of the tank could be viewed clearly from underneath.

Is your tank set up along similar lines to this:

This was a former zebra setup of mine, the zebras seemed to like all the crevices in the slate but I had no breeding attempts. Personally I would stick to the tried and tested method of providing the zebras with slate caves to spawn in, just my two cents worth.

Regards.

Adam
sparkee
Groupie

Post by sparkee »

ive siliconed 5mm thick slate to the bottom and back. i thought it might be more effective than just a glass bottom but with the same benefits. ill still be using the slate caves.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I thought that's what you meant but I wasn't sure. Glad to hear that you are still going to be using the slate caves. Sounds interesting, I don't think I've heard of this being done before. I would be interested in seeing some pictures of the finished tank. Just a suggestion, you might want to make sure that all crevices are filled with silicone to prevent any uneaten food and debris from getting under the slate.

Adam
sparkee
Groupie

Post by sparkee »

im already on that one. have 5mm strips of slate running over all the joints. the only reason i did this is because its a really old tank someone gave me and the glass is well battered and it needed resiliconing. will have a couple of pics later