Setting up Zebra Tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

of1o

Setting up Zebra Tank

Post by of1o »

Hi All,

I have just got myself 5 zebras and will probably acquire 2-3 more for my 3x18x18.

Using sand as substrate, rocks and drift wood. Atm i have a few pvc pipes in the sand though i will try to find some slate or clay tunnels. Fish are still not fully matured so i have the time to look. Will be attempting to breed when the fish mature. Specie only tank.

I have a Fluval cannister and aqua clear equivalent running a combined 1000l/ph and also two power heads for current running a combined 1100l/ph.

As you can see, i need some more caves though this is the first few days of the introduction of the fish.

What do you guys/girls think about lighting during the day? do you prefer natural light or using a fluro etc?

Here are some pics below.

you can see the current

caves, pvc, more to add (terracotta/slate)

tank

the zebs
Fern
Obsessed!!

Re: Setting up Zebra Tank

Post by Fern »

Looks good to me! But I am far from an expert on them :wink:
I have never lit my zeb tanks, they just get ambient lighting from the other tanks in the fish room.
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

Yep, looks good. I use lights on my tank as the room that the tank is in is completely dark (unless the room lights are turned on, of course). I have my lights on about 7 hours a day, and the longer I have them, the more they come out in the light. Good luck.
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I would have more cover and less open area.
Hypancistrus zebra is native to Brazil. The only reported habitat being on the riverbed of the Rio Xingu,
The floor of the xingu is primerily made up of rounded rocks, crevises and a sandy substrate, allowing Hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from preditors.
from http://www.zebrapleco.com/core/zebra_pleco_habitat.php

I no longer run lights on zebra tanks except for when I work on them during weekly maint. etc.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
of1o

Post by of1o »

thanks peeps,

yeh i am on the hunt for the right rocks now and some terracotta/ceramic caves. Then i will provide plenty for the fish. will turn the light off for the sake of the fish.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi of1o

No real need for lighting apart from for our own aesthetic requirements. I used to light the tanks with a daylight bulb, but stopped once I moved them to breeding set-ups.The tank looks good, make sure that there are plenty of areas for food collect that are still accessible to the "turkey baster" :-)

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
pleckingpob
Forum Follower

Post by pleckingpob »

looks good but ud b doin the right thing addin more cover in the tank . the zebras luk good to i fink u gt 2 female n 3 male