options

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Sigmar
Forum Follower

options

Post by Sigmar »

here is what I have to work with and my thoughts. This Sunday I have 12 L46 coming in roughly 2 plus inches long. I have 20L's and 40 breeders. I could split 6 each in the 20L's or place them all in the 40 breeder or split 6 each in two 40 breeders? Also substrate, have some Tahitian black sand or bare? Welcome opinions and why?Also if sand what of plants? thanks
har_eh

Re: options

Post by har_eh »

From my own experience I'd recommend a small tank with all of em in it(40l).
This will make them less shy and even come out for food. Their is no
need to put in tubes yet at this size, I'd just provide some shelter in the
form of some wood/rocks. Set it up so you can see/observe your fish at all
time though.
I'd recommend a bare tank, this is way easier to clean which is quite essential
especially for young zebs.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have run zebra tans both with gravel and bare bottom, I prefer the bb. It makes the tank easier to clean but it also means there is no sand to get blown all over the place if you provide any serious current.

I tend to go for smaller initially but as the zebras get older they will need more room as they are still plecos and so will be territorial.

They may not cave for spawning purposes, but younger zebras as well as older females will cave overnight simply for shelter. I happen to prefer providing a ton of hiding places, and I do mean a ton. Bear in mind this from our article on zebra habitat:
The floor of the xingu is primarily made up of rounded rocks, crevices and a sandy substrate, allowing Hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from predators.
In order to insure new pleco tanks will not pose a cycling type threat the the fish I tend to plant tanks initially. However, I tend to keep my zebra tanks warm and I have found that many plants will not thrive longer term at these temps and that algae becomes an issue. I now do not even light many of my pleco tanks.

All that said, what works for me is not the only way of doing things, it is merely my way and it works for me and my fish.

I would leave you with this old saying: "A happy zebra is a hiding zebra."
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

And my .02 cents worth says that I would split them into 2 groups (although I did not when I got my group of 15 as I did not have the room or the tanks). That way, if you have a major problem in 1 tank, you will not lose all your precious fish. Just mt thoughts. And next time I have an empty tank, I will be splitting my group, as it makes me very nervous to have them all in one 40B. Good luck.
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth