duckweed?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

shamrock
Forum Follower

duckweed?

Post by shamrock »

http://www.guppies.com/forums/showthrea ... 18686.html

how true is this? worth considering for a zebra set-up?

your views would be valued

thanks
Jo's Zebs

Re: duckweed?

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I have it in all my tanks, initially by accident a few leaves came in with new fish and the rest is history, true it gets everywhere like dog do do on your shoes but it is beneficial to water quality so its a no brainer plus I cant be fussed to do battle with it now its in the tanks, I scoop a big chunk out every couple of weeks to cull it a bit.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

You can have the stuff. It is unattractive, invasive and a general pita. I am not running a sewage treatment facility and have no desire to.

I do keep a lot of planted tanks and I can say than most plants tend to dislike warmer water and most of my zebra tanks have few to no plants because the temps helped them to an early demise. I don't know how duckweed will do in the mid 80s and have no desire to find out.

Incidentally, if you research zebra habitats you will discover there are basically no plants or algae due to the higher temps, strong currents and lack of light.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I have it a few tanks & I have no problem with it, it is very beneficial.
As John says it will not do very well in a zeb tank due to lack of light & espically current.
It spreads from tank to tank very easy mainly on my arm & it doesn't like the conditions of my zeb tanks!
It can tolerate the temps but dosen't like the current :wink:
shamrock
Forum Follower

Post by shamrock »

would be interesting if you could seal it in a micropore container, use it to cleanse the water... wonder if it's possible. would still probably escape