External filter question

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

GrubbyGirl
Groupie

External filter question

Post by GrubbyGirl »

I am going to move my zebra tank to the bedroom (less traffic). At the moment I have a fluval 4 plus internal filter with a venturi that works a treat. However I want to move over to an external so am currently cycling a Fluval 305. I really do not want to use an airestone as it's going to be in the bedrrom and I don't want the noise.

I was wondering what others who use externals do for oxygenation? I can get a spray bar so can I use this just below the surface of the water to create ripples? Would this be enough? I know that you don't actually have to have bubbles to help with oxygenation it's the surface movement that actually does the business. As far as I know there is no venturi system for the fluval externals.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Angela
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Zebras need well oxygenated water. The return needs to do more than just ripple the surface. I tend to use HOBs, sponged powerheads and air driven sponges in my pleco tanks.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

I also have an eheim 2075 that I know I can get a venturi for, but the tank is only 115 litres (25 UK or 30 US Gallons), but I don't know if the flow would be too high, or do they not mind the flow? I can use the fluval 305 in my 200l comunity tank.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

I have an external on mine with a spray bar but also have a fluval internal which produces a good flow with bubbles and an airstone but am lucky mine is not in the bedroom so don't keep me awake :lol:

Hope you can find a good balance and still sleep :D
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I use Ehiem Aqua balls on a few tanks & have found them to be very good & very quiet, you can also get add on sponges to them, to create another internal filter with added aeration. :wink:
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

I currently have a very good internal in there, but I really fancy the convenience and performance of an external
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Just go for the Aqua ball to create the air & still use an external filter & your internal, you can get them for under £20. :)
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

This is exactly what I do...a Proe 3e with an Aquaball.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...