Aeration/oxygenation

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Aeration/oxygenation

Post by GrubbyGirl »

I was wondering how others ensure good oxygenation in their tanks? I am not a great lover of airstones, mainly because air pumps are noisey. I much prefer a venturi system on my filter. I need to be convinced that air stones add anything so I would appreciate your views??? Also what about spraybars, anybody use those?

Angela
zibzab

Post by zibzab »

Hi,
I use big ceramic (6" x 2") Air Stone Diffuser with Super Silent air Pump :)
Last edited by zibzab on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

zibzab wrote:Hi,
I use big ceramic (6" x 2") Air Stone Diffuser with Super Silent air Pump :)
What pump do you use, my interpet one is horribly noisy?
zibzab

Post by zibzab »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
You can get them in different sizes I hope this helps :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I rely on my power filters to aggitate the surface and promote gas exchange. I do run some sponges in my fish space but they are the 3rd filter after the 2 hang ons.

Airstones do not put much O into the water directly, its the bubbles breaking the surface that allows for O to enter and excess co2 to exit.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

zibzab wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
You can get them in different sizes I hope this helps :)
Cool, I'll certainly get a quieter pump. I see it has 2 outlets so do you need to connect 2 things up for it to work or can you switch one outlet off?
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

I have a spray bar on my external filter, an internal fluval filter with air tubing attached to give bubbles and also an airstone from a silent pond pump which runs all my air driven devices in the fish room :D
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi GrubbyGirl
I see it has 2 outlets so do you need to connect 2 things up for it to work or can you switch one outlet off?
If the pump has two outlets and want to only use one try not to block one pipe off as this in time will muck up the black rubber diaphragm inside.
I use a T piece to attach both lines together(as in top pic).
IMO spray bars and power heads with venturis are best I use air lines only when I have to like in my breeder traps or to agitate water in a bucket I can't stand the noise of the air pumps.

If the air pump has only one outlet you can run two lines off of it using the T piece (as in bottom picture)but one side needs to be set up like this with a inline tap to adjust the flow as different lengths of tube and depths of water and things you using on the end like size of air stone change the pressure in the tubes and the tap allows you the alternate or equalize the pressure in each tube.
But using this method the pump has to be able to cope with using two lines but smaller pumps will loose pressure and probably only one side will work.
I actually use a pump with two outlets when I need to run three lines !.
So if you buy a pump with two outlets you can run 1,2,3or4 lines on it with one pump if powerful enough. :wink:
I know you know this but don't forget to use a anti reverse valve at all times. :)

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Last edited by jerry58 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Thanks for that, but like you I hate the noise, but I will get a new air pump because they are required some times...........but I think I'll stick with the venturi if that works ok.
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

I use an aquaball 1212 on my zebra tank. Provides tons of bubbles and is virtually silent since it sits inside the tank. Good luck.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=9021
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
Mr. Johnson
Groupie

Re: Aeration/oxygenation

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

I was wondering what people thought about wet/dry filters?

I fine that's these tigers oxygenate the water very well and I don't have unsightly bubbles in the water.