Zebra project

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Yup, and so does the zebs think too! :P

Seriously, they really like the heavy water movement and prefer being out in the stream rather than hiding under the wood pieces. :tup:
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Ouscazz

That looks a good idea 8)

Just keep the bottom and sides of the trap clean as poss from food waste and you could use a small paint brush that works well and you can do it without removing the fry. :wink:

Jerry :D
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Thanks for the tip Jerry. I use a small 5ml syringe with an 8" air hose attached to it to suck up food leftovers, works really good.

New pic from today.

jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi Ouscazz

Good point using small 5ml syringe with an 8" air hose attached to siphon out any left over food and poo.
But I said to use a brush to keep down the bacteria slime that you will get on the bottom and sides of the tank(possibly not visible yet) this will build up in time and then the fish consume it and using small soft paint brush won't hurt the fish if you touch one by mistake as they do dash about very fast also can use the brush to make them move when cleaning the corner where they sit.
I brush my fry breeder trap every day but think you would be ok doing it every2- 3 days if you don't over feed and clean them well.
They are looking good and healthy 8)

Hope this explains. Jerry :D
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

After I read your post earlier today I tested your idea with the paint brush, they dashed about alot but none of them got hurt due to the soft brush... thanks alot for the tip Jerry! :tup:
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

I found this lovely declaration of love today, enjoy!

http://www.mchportal.com/fishkeeping-ma ... a-l46.html
civicr
Obsessed!!

k

Post by civicr »

love the idea of the fry trap well done !!

after seeing your new pics im really shocked to see how young the zebs are they can only be a few months old,

but im sure you will look after them well,zebs are quite hardy
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
3x zeb fry 2days old 11/09/08
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Your fries look only 1 to 2 months old. You obviously have done a great job keeping them alive. But try to go for a bigger size next time if you buy more. It's really hard for the fries under 6 months old to survive in the trip. my 2 cents.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Great pics of the fry :)
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Thanks guys!

They do eat a lot, but yesterday morning the small bastards scared the jobbie out of me.. all food was left on the bottom of the trap, they had not eaten at all.... stupid me had forgotten to turn off the light in one of my small tanks which left the room lit up for the whole night... and these youngsters - obviously - feed only when the room is totally blacked out. This morning there were no left overs.. pheww... :)
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Yesterday I started to prepare a 54 l (14 gal) tank for my zebra fry. This will be their new home when they've reached the size of +1". A simple rock background is glued to the back and to the right I've glued a couple of glass pieces. This will be the filter chamber. A piece of sponge filter will fit in there snuggly, together with a powerhead and a small heater.

Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »

Got 2 more zebs today... One 3" and the other 3.5".

I think it's male/female but I'm not sure. Anyone who can sex these?

Female?

Male?
Ouscazz
Groupie

Post by Ouscazz »