Tank aquascaping

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

gtp
Groupie

Tank aquascaping

Post by gtp »

Ok I'm after some advise. Unfortunately I can't get pictures of my zebra setup on my computer so I'll do my best to describe it to you in detail.

Its around 25gal (30"lx12"wx18"h).
It has two internal fluval 3 filters giving around 1200lpr filtration.
It has 2 Aquaclear powerheads giving around 1200lpr turnover (one powerhead is shooting bubbles into the tank).
Fairly low lighting, on around 12hr per day.

Temperature is at 28c
PH around 6.5
0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, do have some nitrates in there atm.
Fine gravel substrate.

Anyway the main thing I'm after advise on is the aquascaping.

To the left I have set one piece of drift/bog wood. Behind that I have 1.5" diameter pipe approximately 3.5" in length, open both ends as a cave.

I have exactly the same to the right end of the tank (another piece of wood with an open ended cave behind). This leaves an open space in the centre in which I have placed a large rock with a cave each side of it. These caves are the same 1.5" diamter piping, roughly 3.5" in length, yet these are closed at one end. The caves are at the back of the tank facing towards the front with a slight angle.

So in total thats 2 'proper' caves, 2 open ended caves, plus a bit of shelter behind the bogwood and one or two stones (but no actual caves among the wood as such)

Plus I have a couple of plants in there.

I have 4 adult zebra's around 2.5-3" in length. I believe them to be 2 females and 2 males but not sure.

My current problem is that none of them are using the 'proper' caves at the moment. They are perfect for them to utilise but they just don't seem to go in them. The caves are big enough to fit a zebra in their nicely with dorsal fin fully extended, plus they are a fair bit longer than the fish. Also the entrances aren't too big either, so there isn't any reason I can think of why they aren't going in them.

Are there enough caves in the tank? There aren't that many rocks, nothing like the flat-rock displays some zebra keepers have. I wanted to keep it as simple as poss for cleaning while trying to meet all of the zebra's basic needs. Do I need to put more rocks in there?

How long does it usually take for zebras to find a cave and stick with it?

Any information along these lines would be much appreciated.

Edited: typos
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

what type of pipe are you using i find the clay caves that jo on here sells seem to be the favourite that my zebs take to. i have 5 clay terracotta type caves and also have 6 slate caves that i made myself. only 3 caves seem to be used and these are all the terracotta ones. i have 12 zebs in there with 4 adults and 8 juvies.
gtp
Groupie

Post by gtp »

The pipe seems to be some kind of moulded harded plastic or something. I got it from Maidenhead aquatics. Its black in colour.

My current thoughts is that its too open in the centre of the tank where the two 'proper' caves are and the fish just dart to either side behind the wood whenever I get close to the tank. I was thinking that putting a few more pieces of rock and some slate here and there in the middle of the tank would make them feel a bit more secure and stay in the centre a bit more?

The fish seem to go into the open ended piping I have either side behind the wood and thats the same as the ones in the middle except its open both ends as opposed to just one.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

I noticed it took a long while for mine to take to caves. Also if there isn't cover and they have to be "exposed" to get to the caves they probably won't use them during the day. I'd suggest checking in the middle of the night to see if they venture to and explore the caves - then you at least know they like them. Also you could try putting the caves in a more concealed location, well out of the light, and see if they take to them.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
gtp
Groupie

Post by gtp »

Ok sounds good. I think its that problem as well. I'm thinking of putting a few rocks and slate in the centre of the tank to provide more cover, and I could make it so the entrance to the two centre caves is more shaded and concealed by placing slate over and above the entrances like a kind of big porchway. Hopefully the extra rocks will make the Zebra's feel more secure enough to stay in the centre when I'm around, do you think?
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

It varies - mine hop from caves under the giant flat rocks that cover nealy the entre bottom of my tank. Sometimes they see me - weven with all the cover, and still swim off to hide in another portion of the tank.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
kingie11
Obsessed!!

Post by kingie11 »

mines also are using the caves bought from jo top class stuff
Steve.