best filter for new tank?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Zebedee
Obsessed!!

best filter for new tank?

Post by Zebedee »

just brought a new tank for my zebs as there is a lot of build up of crap down the false backing for my existing one and i want to redesign the layout also. the tank is 200l with an existing internal filter jewel compact. i want to add a filter that will give good flow easy to clean and maintain and also help airate the tank and also be quiet. or the best that i can get for the areas without being well overpriced. i've tried to search previous threads but it comes up with hundreds. maybe i'm not searching correctly. can you just search for subject titles? thanks peeps.
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

We need more info on you tank size the length height etc. Also how many zebs are there and are the older or younger and if you could a picture of what your setup looks like now. But a good rule of thumb with these guys is to have a turn over of at least 10 times your tank. My tank has a turnover of 20 times and is highly aireated. I also have a powerhead that just pushes water around.
John

Post by John »

Just use the search button on top of the page, it gives you a lot of options for searching.

Did a quick search for you and the fluval fx5 might be interesting:

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1935
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

my existing setup is here with the addition of lots of slate bottom pic with 6 adults and 8 juvies.http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4910
i did try searching maybe i was not doing it right it searched the topics as well as the posts and couldn't manage to stop it doing that. thanks for searching for me john. i was thinking of an ehiem as i've heard of good stuff about them.
although the fx5 is an awsome filter i'd like to be able to fit it in the cupboard under the tank my friend had one of these and he had to have it sitting next to his tank looked a bit ugly
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

just ordered my eheim 2028 £123.99 aheaper than ebay prices glad i did a google search. usually go with ebay being the cheapest.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Unless I am converting wrong, 200L = about 53 gals. I think the 2026 would have been more than adequate and cheaper than the larger 2028. Eheim rates the 2026 as good for tanks from aout 53-92 gals and the 2028 for about 93 to 150 if I rem right.

I have two of the 2026 and love em. You might want to look into adding an inline heater. I prefer these to the Eheim internal heaters for the above models.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

i was thinking about getting that one just thought the more flow the better also i think it fits more filter media inside the canister. i think it was about £25 more but thats nothing really compared to the zebs.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

got my new filter and have set it up on the tank with the zebs in i have the existing internal filter running as this is already cycled. will the new filter be ok how its set up now? will it cause the levels to fluctuate or will the other existing filter keep the water safe.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Did you use some media from your old filter to help start your new one?
I would say you should be fine, just keep your water tested regularly.
I sometimes squeeze out an mature filter sponge in the tank to help set up new filters. :wink: