Is this tank ok for zebs?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Brengun
Groupie

Is this tank ok for zebs?

Post by Brengun »

I got 5 adult zebs a few days ago and evicted 5 juvi L002 and several corydoras from this tank to accomodate the zebras. Previously, the corydoras and glass shrimp had bred in this tank.
It is 2ft6" x 15" x 15" and is approx 108ltrs or 29 usgal.

Filtration is Eheim 2215 15w 620lph plus Ehiem 2010 pickup and a sponge filter.
Temp is 27c.
Substrate is a thin layer of fine sand.

Is this sufficient for zebras or is there something I should add/change?

The tank above houses 3 adult L204 flash

On the pickup filter is it stronger with the button up or down?

The male zebra has taken up a cave and is displaying his little heart out for the girls.

The girls are all still sulking around the sponge filter. Should I leave the caves and stuff as is?
I have another piece of big slate the same as under the caves. I could put it over the caves to make a bigger overhang if you think that might be a better idea or should I just leave it and give the girls more time to settle?
I have kept their light off.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Congrats on your new additions. :)

Just give them time to settle in, I would try moving your bogwood onto your sand as mine love to hide under this.

Your tank looks fine, but you need to raise the temp a little, mine is between 28-29C.

Can't see any air or water movement to increase oxygen, I run around 15 times turnover.

Hope this helps. :wink:
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

Thanks Stevie,
Usually there is so much current the sand shoots into the caves, which is why I put some slate under them.
It is for that reason my canister intake is sitting on a rock, so the sand doesn't get sucked up into the canister.

The Eheim internal really should be throwing out some airbubbles. Either I need to fiddle with it or just even add a little power head. I might have also had the canister spraybar drop a bit when I was arranging the decor, so I will check on that.

I think I have figured out why the female zebs are staying near the sponge instead of heading for the male displaying in his cave.
Line of sight; they can't see him for the big cave and the rock in the way
and they are too woosey to come to the front to see.
I will have to quietly take that cave out of the way and drop the bogwood onto the sand on the other side.

At least I was close at 27c. I am more used to plecs like bn who like a cooler 24-25c. I will keep an eye on the temp at different times of the day and night and adjust the heater in stages. I also only read the easy digital temp monitor. I will get my glasses and check its accurate against the glass thermometer.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A few thoughts.

Imo you need more cover of a random nature. Zebras love to be able to move about w/o braking cover. They need to be able to break off squabbles and retreat into hiding.

I have 4 tanks w/ zebras and the temps range between 83 and 86 F (29-30C).

BN can handle warm water just fine and they are often kept in discus tanks.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

Thanks for the input Steve.
I have the temp now up to 28c.
I found out if I push the internal Eheim button down it blows lots of lovely airbubbles. I knew it was up or down, just couldn't remember which with all the excitement and responsibility of these gorgeous fish.

The Eheim canister was making awful noises last night. I might have got sand sucked up there when I was arranging the tank. I serviced it and tossed out some pesky little snails from the spindle which might have also impeded performance. I also put a sponge on the intake so I don't suck up fry or eggs (or the heap of glass shrimp I found in the canister), in the future. I replaced the purigen bag with a newie while I was at it.

I rearranged the decor so the zebs can move from the sponge, along the back of the caves and behind some driftwood without breaking cover.

I was a bit worried that they were all ok as they were all packed around the sponge filter with one under the others but I moved the sponge for a minute and everyone looks very very good.

Is there anything else you can think of atm I should get or be doing?

Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Looking good, leave them to settle in.

Keep them well fed, the water quality good & who knows in a few months they may start showing some interest in breeding :wink:
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Looks great to me :)
ZebKeeper
Groupie

Post by ZebKeeper »

congrats for the zebs and nice looking tank.

mind to tell me where u get them from and how much? still looking around for more, but got no luck :S
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

I got 2m & 3f adults from a guy in Sydney. He wanted funds to purchase someother really rare fish. They have never bred but two of the females are very fat so fingers crossed they might like my tank enough to get pallie with the two boys who have both taken up caves.
Not cheap Riadi, $2,000 each. :shock:

Talk about spoiled. Moonlights at night now.

The previous owner always kept them with a uv sterilizer so I got one the same. Its a De Bary Aqua-UV Sterilizer AN-15E. The E part means it has a ballast added which helps boost the bulb life to 12000 hrs.

Instead of the usual frozen brine shrimp food which is the only thing the previous owner says they would eat, I fed a little frozen bloodworm last night. If they would eat discs or pellets it would be nice but atm they just get left and I get to clean them out.
Last edited by Brengun on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgb
Forum Follower

Post by lgb »

Now i know what to do, ill start exporting l-46 down under.. :lol:
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

lgb wrote:Now i know what to do, ill start exporting l-46 down under.. :lol:
That would be fantastic I you could.
Just one tiny insignificant detail: You need to get it taken off Australias banned import list. :lol:
lgb
Forum Follower

Post by lgb »

no ill just export some breed :roll:
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

I really don't think they can adjust to the sand. I seldom ever see them cross it and where they have made nests, all the sand has been swept away leaving glass for them to sit on. I might gradually siphon the sand out with each wc.

I put a hollow log in extending from the sponge filter (rear right) to the middle front area. Athough I don't think they traverse inside the log, they are using the rounded overhang for cover to move along the outside.

One has now taken up residence in the piece of pottery at the front right, and one has stayed sort of under the log. One is in the bn log at the front left and one is still using the sponge filter for a home.

That leaves one zeb who must have a really good hiding place because I can't see it.
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

They're really good at hiding. They'll turn up during feeding time. I know a few owners here have their zebs in sand and they like to swish their tails in it - so if they made clearing spots - sounds like they are settling themselves in :) Again, preference on the owners. I've seen zebs in sand, gravel, bare bottoms, and all sorts.

Keep us updated! =)

-Angela
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

The Eheim classic kept getting air in the head somehow and has been noisy for months. I replaced it yesterday with an Eheim professional 1. Ooh such power, the zebs love it. I did of course use half the old classics media to seed the new one.

Warning, the heat of the water tends to kink the soft hosing on the Eheim. I made a sleeve out of an old tough bit of hosing to stiffen it up.

Shock! I saw another zebra do a little bit of a brief visit to the male in the log. Maybe they are thinking of getting jiggy? :)