New to Zebras - Tank set up advice

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Cooper2085

New to Zebras - Tank set up advice

Post by Cooper2085 »

Im hoping to get some Zebra plecs soon, they will all be juvi's and im looking for some setup help. I currently have a 125L 3ft tank, a 210L 4ft tank and 90L 2.5ft tank. Im also setting up a fish house which will hold 12 2ft tanks.

I want to keep the Zebs in my actual house, in a nice set up. From what i understand Zebs dont compete for food very well and are best kept on there own. I know they like alot of hiding places aswell, could anyone help me out with a local (local to me!) slate supplier?

I was thinking of using a 3ft tank, plenty of filtration with a Tetratec EX1200 and a powerhead running in the tank to create a nice flow. I notice alot of Zebra keepers have bare bottom tanks so i would go with that, i guess just use potted live plants.

What sort of lighting do you use in you zebra tanks?

Any info/advice/help appreciated.

Cheers
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I find at the temps I keep zebras the plants do not thrive and I often have algae issues and dying plants. Lighting for the zebras doesnt really matter. In the wild they live in the dark.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I have problems with dwindling plants I have managed to keep java fern growing on bogwood Ok but I think that that stuff is hard to kill :lol: your setup ideas sound spot on. Like TTA has mentioned lighting is not of importance just use your standard tank lights for you own viewing, I leave my lights off a lot of the time only on when I want to clean or take a look in the tanks. An alternative to plants making you tank look good is really nice wood like Red Moor wood some pieces of red moor look stunning in a tank.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk