Powerheads

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Studz

Powerheads

Post by Studz »

For a 33gallon/124ltr tank what would suggest?

would a Maxi Jet Powerhead MP900 be ok, or too strong?
Spunky
Forum Follower

Post by Spunky »

Lets see if what I have read on here is actually sticking in my head. Those of you who really know what they are doing may have to come correct any of my mistakes…

Every post on this I have read says to remember oxygen saturation is more important than flow. That being said… What filter do you have? The power on that factors in to the total turn over rate. A 230 gph Maxi Jet MP900 in a 33gal tank would be 7 turn over. (gph/tank gallons=turnover) I do not remember ranges, but I have read about flow rates in the 20-30s. It also depends on how long your tank is… it needs to be higher to get a flow to the other end.

I am planning a breeding tank with a turn over about 21-28 in a 5ft tank. I am going to set it up so I have options of the flow rate…With the filters and 1 powerhead it is 21 and with 2 powerheads it is 28.
75g: Turquoise severum, 6 khuli loaches, bristlenose
58g: JD
20g: 4 Dwarf puffers, ghost shrimp
30g: testing for leaks
Studz

Post by Studz »

off the top of my head, as im not at home, the tank is 36x15x18 this could be wrong, but its about 3' long.

the filter is an external 305, and the powerhead would be used for flow only, not connected to a filter.
I have a tetratec 305 airpump for it as well, currently is only running at half the rate as I Dats in the tank (im trying to sell them, and they are only 3-4" before anyone tells me the tank is too small, but this isnt the tread for this, /me stops derailing his own thread)

30 time turn over thats some strong current the sand wouldnt settle in that, it'd get washed around... :S surely??