New Breeding Tank: Stage 2

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Jamie24
Obsessed!!

New Breeding Tank: Stage 2

Post by Jamie24 »

Purchased a Eheim 1212 Aquaball Powerhead for my new tank, its awesome :lol: , great aeration and stong flow too, looks great aswell :)

And what my tank looks like now with powerhead added and 12" bubble air stone at back, just waiting on heater and external filter now! soon be ready for some of my zebs! :wink:

comments and suggestions welcome

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
alpharoyals
Forum Follower

Post by alpharoyals »

How big is your tank? I like the "steps" up to the cave 8)
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

i saw that rock and thought that it would be great looking like steps up to the cave, that was what triggerd me to set up this other tank, i saw it and thought that and had to use it and set it up like the image i had in my head. the tank is a Tetra Tec Aqua Art 60L 22" long x 11.5" deep x 14" high. tis perfect for a small breeding tank! :D

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Does that tank run quietly any good for a bedroom?
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

yes it does, it is in my bedroom, my main tank is virtually silent appart from the air bubbles from the airstones. both tanks use Tetra tec dual outlet APS 300's they them selves are super quiet pumps.
This tank if i do not have the bubble wall on is almost silent aswell. the eheim powerhead is inaudiable and like i said produces lots of flow and bubbles to oxygenate the water that it why i think it is so good :D .
My main tank runs on a eheim 2224 professional that is also silent! this is what i will be buing tomorow for this tank...

Both tanks are next to eacxh other at the end of my bedroom, they are heard but only quietly and i have no problem (or my girlfriend) of getting to sleep). the sound of trickling water is actually quite theraputic! they dont interupt listening to the tv or radio either.

these are the onl two tanks of mine at the mo, my dad has a discus/ community tank downstairs and a small community tank in the kitchen.

I want to add another zeb tank and put it in the lounge but dont think ill be allowed. cant wait till i get my own place and can build a fish house especially for the zebs! may also get some microgeophagus ramerizi and breed them again too... (but thats not going to be anytime soon! :( )

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Thinking of one of them tanks to put in one of our spare bedrooms can fit one more fair size juwel in the dinning room without totally pi*sing off my husband but that will be it so I am going to give it some thought all just for zebs my favourite by far what water do you use down stairs I have a hma filter set up but upstairs it will have to be tap water don't want to carry buckets of water on the stairs can see accidents there. A lot of people seem to just use tap water so it can't be a bad thing? Jamie your tank does look really good I like it.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

thanks alot! :D

i use tap water in both of my tanks, we are lucky where we are that the 'Raw' tapwater is at a ph of 7, and very low in chlorine. every time i do a water change i add some tetra Aquasafe and occasionally tetra easy ballance. what i do find is good and gives you crystal clear water and realy healthy zebs is methylene blue! pure brilliant stuff! :) :) :)

I add 3 drops to me 3 foot tank about twice a week! once my breeding tanks is up and running and has got some zebs in i will put two drops in their twice a week, 1 drop per foot of tank i would say, twice a week (a good tip, try it!)

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Ronap
Forum Follower

Post by Ronap »

That does look a nice set up.

I am just wondering about the addition of Methylene blue. I understand it is good for fungus and whitespot, but I have heard it can upset the bacteria in the filter? Or is it ok to use just a few drops without harming the biological filtration?

So much to learn!

:) Rona
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

i have no problems with the filters or water chemistry, i check the water perameters every week (sometimes twice a week) and adding just minimal amounts does not affect it at all. however if you were to add it in larger doses i should imagine that it would have some kind of effect...

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
paulvh
Forum Follower

Easy Balance

Post by paulvh »

Hi Jamie,
You'll have no problems with Easy Balance since your water is so well oxygenated but anyone using it has to be careful to ensure there is plenty of oxygen getting into the water. I once lost fish using Easy Balance when the aeration stopped overnight.

Paul
shamrock
Forum Follower

Post by shamrock »

the first picture is great! no blurring and you can see all those bubbles so clearly :D