My new breeding tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

What External filter shall I use?

Eheim 2224 External
90%
TetraTec EX600
10%

Total votes: 10

Jamie24
Obsessed!!

My new breeding tank

Post by Jamie24 »

purchased a Tetra AquaArt 60L tank, not going to use the filter that came with it as im going to use an Eheim 2224 External or a TetraTec EX600 (havent decided yet) I have got an Eheim Aquaball powerhead 1212 on order to add extra curent and oxygen (via the cool venturi system it has) to the tank, a TetraTec HT50 Heater and a TetraTec APS300 Air pump.

The external filter will use a standard uplift tube and spraybar attachment attatched to tha upper back wall of tank.

Caves arrived today so decided to set it up cold at the moment, just waiting on powerhead and external filter so that i can start to cycle the tank.

Once ready i will be putting my 2 Adult Males and 2 Adult Females in there!

One pair that will be added to the tank (Male on left, Female on right)

Tell me what you all think, any coments and suggestions welcome

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Elaine
Groupie

Post by Elaine »

Hi,

I have 5 youngsters in this very tank ( 3 Scottish bred + 2 German bred )
and am quite pleased with it.
The only problem I had was that the heater struggled to maintain 86 degrees.
It was promptly replaced.Temp now stable and youngsters coming on a treat.

Your set up looks great !

As for the filter , they don't come much better than Eheim IMO.

Cheers
Elaine
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

Hi there Elaine, i currently have an Eheim 2224 on my other tank, and it is very good and efficient and hasnt given me any problems since i brought it i am verry plesed with it. i will look at getting one of the HT150 heaters then or maybe a HT200.

As for the tank, i think that the hood is a great invention, with both openings at front and back and the option of opening the whole lid. and is a nice size for either a small breeding tank or fry raising tank.

J 8)
L046 x 16 + Fry
Elaine
Groupie

Post by Elaine »

Hi again,

I agree with you about the tank - very user friendly.
I have the Eheim 2324 (thermo),Huey Hung sponge filter( the little zebs absolutely love under it) and the filter that came with it.I also have a Jaeger 150w heater.I have the 2324 set a few degrees lower than the Jaeger and use this as back up.
I am a bit of a worry wart and use more than 1 heater and more than 1 filter in all my tanks - better safe than sorry !!!
As you probably guessed,I do like the German stuff - used them for many years and find them very reliable.
The little guys I have in here at the mo are destined for a 30 gal I have and I will make this one home to a young adult pair I have.Like you said , ideal for a small breeder or fry tank.Don't think I'd put more than 1 adult male in there though.

Cheers
Elaine
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am not a fan of tetratecs- they gurgle and slurp loudly. Had one on a tank for 12 hours and then got rid of it.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Sorry TTA - Just to be awkward... we've now got 4 of the tetra tecs... 2 1200's and 2 700's - the 12's are nigh on silent - the 700's do have a bit more of a drone to them - but one is in our bedroom and dosnt keep me awake...

not had a single problem with them. I'd go with them if ££ is an issue.. if not then go eheim :)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Same here I use the tetra tec 1200 on all my tanks never had noise problems and find them really easy to maintain only thing I can say is the spray bars are a little fragile or I am a little clumsey :lol: :lol:
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk