Substrate preference: Black or white sand?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Do you prefer white or black sand susbtrates for zebs?

White sand
50%
Black sand
50%

Total votes: 24

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Substrate preference: Black or white sand?

Post by crazie.eddie »

I currently house my zebs (in a planted tank with shrimps) using a local sand called Black Beauty. It's larger than typical sand, which I've been told, looks like pool filter sand. I have a chance to obtain some black sand blasting sand, which is very fine black sand. Both my zebs are in a 20 gallon (US) long tank (30" x 12" x 12"). I plant to move the zebs, along with a few more future purchases, into a 40 gallon breeder (36" x 18" x 16"). I still want to keep the tank planted, with some shrimp (RCS - Red Cherry Shrimp). The black seems to show the colors of the zebs as well as the RCS. I've also seen some tanks with white sand, but from the pictures, the zebs seem to look ok. Sometimes pictures give a nicer appearance than an actual view. So I was wondering what everyone's preference is?
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

Black for a few reasons...

1) Helps accentuate and contrast the white on their beautiful boddies for looking at them and for taking pictures

2) Is more natural to the natural habitat as they live deep down in the water course at the river bed so little light would be available making the conditions dark

3) Seems to make the fish seem more happier as they (in my personal experience and others oppinions that i have read) tend to be happier and seem more out and about from hiding and active when using a black sand substrate as opposed to a light or white sand substrate

All in all i dont think it makes too much difference it is all down the the individual aquarist but in my oppinion black sand substrate is always best...
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i currently use white ground. i think it make no different. i got some frys from using white small gravel and this way i can see the dirty area of the gravel so i can suck them out easily.
martj
Groupie

Post by martj »

befor you think goin with the black sand you should read this
:shock: http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/month ... 00132.html
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

I don't like the looks of black sand, would make the tank darker than it already is! And after reading the articals, I certainly WON'T be putting it in my tanks! Cheers marji
These are beautiful little babes!
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Good article, but I haven't heard much from it. I wonder if it was just a concindence. I use Black Beauty sand, though not as small as sand, but supposedely about the size of pool filter sand, and I never had any problems with shrimps and fish, especially my zebras with it. Also, the article was way back in 2001. I'm sure if black sand was really that bad, it would have spread like wild fire by now, but that's the first I heard of it. I belong to several forums and I may conduct my own poll to see if anyone uses those types of black sand.

Jamie24 does bring some good points regarding using darker substrate. I know reclusive fish prefer darker, shaded areas and having white or lighter colored sand reflecting the surface light may make them even more reclusive.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Depends on the nature of sand rather than the color. Some black sand I've seen in pet shops have rather sharp edges, sand blasting sand would also have sharp edges (as it makes it more efficient in sand blastning if it does have sharp edges)

Sand with smooth grains is the best way to go in my opinion. If it's black or beige would be a matter of taste.
martj
Groupie

Post by martj »

I know is an old article but you don`t want to jeopardise you precios fish
do you? intead of sand blasting sand you can buy CaribSea Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand it`s a little bit expensive but is safe for your fish and
looks good too :cheers:
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I've used what sand (play sand) in a good number of my tanks for years now....

Water stats are always good - but I've lost corys and a few other fish over the years.... must be the sand :roll:
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]