Possible Tankmates?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

cols
Forum Follower

Possible Tankmates?

Post by cols »

I've read that shrimp make pretty good partners for zebras..... sounds pretty intresting....what would i need to feed them? Can they escape as good as the little crabs you can buy etc???

My tank is all setup, just waiting for my caves (should arrive today/next monday) and my zebs (just arranging the dates of pickup)

Thanks
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

can shrimp live in the tank with hot temperature and high water stream?

i don't think they can. :? the little crab looks harmful to the zeb to me.
Piranha
Forum Follower

Post by Piranha »

chanettt wrote:can shrimp live in the tank with hot temperature and high water stream?

i don't think they can. :? the little crab looks harmful to the zeb to me.
Hi! It depends on what kind of shrimps You want to keep. The temperature in my zebra tank is usually 30C (86F) but during hot summer it can rise up to 32C. My powerheads and filters make the turnover of 35 times per hour. In spite of that my Amano shrimps carry eggs all the time and my Red Cherry shrimps are breeding like crazy. I have also no problems with such sensitive shrimps like Atya gabonensis (known as African Giant Filter Shrimp or Vampire Shrimp, I have two of them). I have also one Atyopsis moluccensis shrimp. But I'm sure such shrimps like Crystal Red shrimp and other sensitive dwarf shrimps won't survive long in zebra tank.
cols
Forum Follower

Post by cols »

Cool, so a fairly 'normal' shrimp will do ok?

No way would i get a crab, used to have 1 until he crawled out the tank, out of the room and ended up downstairs....which was bizarre.
Piranha
Forum Follower

Post by Piranha »

cols wrote:Cool, so a fairly 'normal' shrimp will do ok?
Yes, I'm sure popular Red Cherry and Amano shrimps will be OK. You can also keep some Filter Shrimps like Atyopsis moluccensis and Atya gabonensis.