Ideal Growout Setup?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

TwoTankAmin

Ideal Growout Setup?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have always had great luck with fish spawning in my tanks. I credit most of it to our well water. Zebras have been no exception and I have pelnty of fry of all ages.

Where I have not done as well with breeding is the growing out part. usually this is due to cramped quarters. I think I now have the opportunuity to convert a part of a storeroom into a small fish area. I would like to use the space for bare tank type duties: Q, spawning and growout.

What I am wondering is what sort of system would work best for growing out several smaller tanks of zebra fry for an extended period- ie a year or two? I was thinkig along the lines of 3-4 20 gal longs. I would prefer to have wcs automated and vacuuming tanks to be as easy as possible. There will be a utility sink with hot and cold water and a drain.

I would assume the total number of tanks in the fish space would be 7-10 and of assorted sizes to incl 30 breeder, 15s and maybe a few 10s as well as the dedicated zebra growout tanks.

Any thoughts, advice or ideas are appreciated regarding the zebra part of the system especially.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

An automated waterchanging system would be ideal, but I don't know if somebody has come up with a system that works yet? What I do know is that the cleaner water the faster they grow, so this is where you probably want to focus your attention. Plus a good diet of course.

Lucky you to have such good quality well water! Sorry I'm not being of better help...
hara
Forum Follower

Post by hara »

McEve wrote:An automated waterchanging system would be ideal, but I don't know if somebody has come up with a system that works yet?
I have seen working system in discus breeding tank, there was 100litres water change in 24 hours. Water changes were automated in sump-filter.
John

Post by John »

You can use the gardena microdrip system for a constant or timed wc system, you only have to put a overflow in the sump connected to your house drainpipes.

check it out: http://www.interiorlandscaping.co.uk/Microdrip.htm

I am planning on installing this on my new tankrack to.
Got this tip from a discusbreeder who uses this system allready for 2 years, and he is very enthousiastic about it.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
hara
Forum Follower

Post by hara »

The working system what i see were dripping olso...
Sorry bad english.
Pleco-Fan

Post by Pleco-Fan »

looks very cool!
PLECO LIST:

L046
L134
L262
L174
L191
L273