new setup....

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

cols
Forum Follower

new setup....

Post by cols »

ok,im pretty new to this but here is the plan so far :)

please feel free to help/comment etc... everything i've read so far has been a great help.

I have a 96ltr tank, 90cm x 30 x 40 ( a little bit smaller than i would hope but i dont have any more room)

I would like to setup a riverflow style tank mentioned on a few posts, but im not great at DIY :P

Something like this,

http://www.loaches.com/articles/river-t ... old-design

Although im not sure how big of a powerhead i would want in a tank this size?? I use some 802's in my other tanks and i think that would blow anything away!!

Im also looking into purchasing one of these....

http://www.thelivingseas.co.uk/index.as ... uctid=1311

i didnt know if it might be a bit over kill or not???
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Not seen the river flow system before but it looks a good idea & straightforward.

I use a filter similar to the ehiem witch gives 1150 l/hr turn over & good aeration in a 120 ltr 4 foot tank which works well, i may add a powerhead at some point.

Are you setting the tank up ready to get some zebs soon, are you going to use a fine sand? :)
cols
Forum Follower

Post by cols »

My aim is to have the tank setup before i go away for 3 weeks at the end of august which will give it time to sit and what not, and then to try and have some zebs before xmas time....

I have some small 2-3mm black gravel in the tank at the moment, but im open for suggestions on whats best to keep the little fellas in.

I wanted to get one of those thermal filters with the digital temp gauge on it, then i can go wrong with temp :)
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Hi mate - good to see someone from my way (ish)

I've tried the river setup on a few tanks... dont try it in a sand tank... (oops)

I also found they dont filter well enough on their own, so the external is a great idea to do the filtering ;)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I can offer a few thoughts. First, I have 2 Eheim Pro II 2026s. They are rated for 53-90 gal tanks (200 - 350 liters). The larger 2028 is rated for tanks up to about 160 gals (600 liters). I think the 2028 is way overkill for that tank. If you did the 2026 it would be plenty of both filtration and flow for a 96L tank.

You can also basically create a river flow using a canister since you can place the spraybar across the side at one and and then your sponged intake system along the opposite side without needing all the pvc plumbing. You can gang two FilterMax III Prefilters for the intake.

These are aout 6 inches long and use an internal skeleton similar to the Hydro Sponges. The plastic adapter pieces come apart and interconnect to allow many configurations with a variety of connections.

If you are planning to start with closer to adult size fish then flow in the tank will be an issue. However, if you are starting with smaller zebras, then flow is not as much of an issue which means you can use a much greater variety of filters etc. Neither of my growout tanks has a powerhead, One has a sponge filter and small powerfilter and the other a pair of power filters.

Second, I am not a fan of heaters built into the filter for a few reasons. Only that specific heater can be used. If it breaks, you will need to have adequate backup heat in the form of a spare Eheim heater of other normal heaters. Also, if you have a heater in a filter, that means you have less media space avalable. I also use two heaters in all my zebra tanks. No way I trust my guys to a single heater which could fail. I do have an inline heater for each of my Eheims- they are placed on the return side of the filter and come in 200w and 300w.

Third, the choice of substrate type or going bare bottom is more an issue of personal esthetics. It is easier to keep a bare bottom clean that substrate which will suck in some wastes. I have both and the fish don't care. My personal belief is that the type of cover you provide is far more important. If you read the site link on the zebras natural habitat you will find the following paragraph:
The floor of the xingu is primerily made up of rounded rocks, crevises and a sandy substrate, allowing the hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from preditors.
Hence the saying here that a happy zebra is a hiding zebra. Providing appropriate cover is improtant to having happy and ultimately spawning zebras. Fry need smaller nooks and crannies than adults who want more room. Its is amazing to see how in a tank with 15 fry, almost all of them will try to hang together in a spot too small for anything else to fit no matter how many good spots there are. Here is a pic of the type of rounder rocks I use in my breeder tank. (Note this pic is to show the rocks and is not a zebra tank). I got the rocks at a local stone and gravel yard.

For fry I actually make temporary hiding places using smaller pieces of slate to support bigger ones. As many as 15 fry have camped under the one on the right and even more under the one on the left. When its time to remove/move fry. I can lift off the top pieces and then pick up the end supports. You will learn over time that catching zebra fry can be a challenge as long as there is one place they can hide under or behnd :lol:

I hope some of this is helpful but please bear in mind this is how I do things and is by no means the only way.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
cols
Forum Follower

Post by cols »

I like the sound of a couple of those ideas....

This tank will have to be my 1 and only zebra tank (well for the time being) so i need to make sure it's good enough for when i get the small ones in and when they are grownup.

I think il scrap the powerhead idea for now and go with your suggestion on using the filter to do much the same thing, should provide enough current and filtration i think. And with that idea i think its best to go with the bare bottom tank or it may be a bit messy.

HAving had a heater go on another tank, luckliy i heard the noise as i was in the room i always have a spare, and i like the look of the in-line heater.

I will have a look around for a new equipment list today.

Thanks

EDIT

Just purchased a 2026 and the inline heater. Tonight i will empty the tank and give it a solid clean. It currently has a juwell filter running in it, do you think i should leave that in or get rid??