amano shrimp

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

lawrie909
Forum Follower

amano shrimp

Post by lawrie909 »

why is this so good in the tank? is it possible to use cherry shrimp instead , they obviously look a lot better?
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

Either will work just fine but with cherries they will start producing like crazy and then it will become a problem since they will then take food from the zebras. Amano's don't reproduce in fresh water.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
lawrie909
Forum Follower

Post by lawrie909 »

if thet do reproduce too much, cant they easily be taken out?will they bother the plecs
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cherries will not bother the plecs neither would Amanos for that matter. However large Amanos are capable of carrying off food. I used to see my Amanos literally steal food from the zebras. Not a great problem really so long as you are feeding enough. The Cherries may well become a problem as they are quite prolific. You will also have to cover the intakes of canister filters with sponge or you will end up with a thriving colony in the filters. Cherries are also less tolerant of meds, if you have cause to dose your tank they will almost certainly die. The rotting bodies of a few hundred cherries would most likely pollute the tank.

If you need to trap cherries you can use a trap door type fish trap baited with some food , you will get quite a few this way. Far easier than chasing them around the tank with a net, they are agile little fellas.

Regards.

Adam
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

This the right place, I've got shrimps in my tank along with my little zebs. They don't bother with them! (Thanks Eve, for pointing me to the right post :wink: )
Last edited by bonsai on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are beautiful little babes!
lawrie909
Forum Follower

Post by lawrie909 »

tyvm... i think i'll try a few cherries!