CO2 and Zebras

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

jerms55555
Obsessed!!

CO2 and Zebras

Post by jerms55555 »

I plan to get a 100gal ADA tank for a full planted tank with some real hard to grow plants like, glosso, riccia and other plants which require CO2 and 4wpg of lighting. I was planning to grow out some F1 zebras that I have in there.
These are my concerns:

-the high CO2 concentration
-the low turbulance of water, even though I plan to put a air wand or power jet in the sump to add more oxygen.
-I am going to use ADA AquaSoil and PowerSand
-Only fish would be 5 zebras and about 30 Amano Shrimp (Cardina japonica)

Has anybody tried this before?
Jerms
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I think teh light would bother them, for two reasons: These are relatively deep-water fish, and they are light in color. DEep water fish aren't used to 400 watts of full-spectrum light only two feet from their backs and don;t like it much! They sunburn easily;)

YOu don't find many plants in their natural biotope, but they arfe said to be fairly adaptable and that's been shown in the various water conditions they've been bred in captivity in.
They do like lots of oxygen in teh water. The live plants will help with that.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The main problem, IMO, is going to be that zebras grow and condition better in warmer water, 86 degrees or so. Your plants aren't going to see the humor in that at all.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi jerms55555,
In answer to your questions,
I have tried to keep zebras a long time ago in a community tank. They never survived. However the temp was at 75F, which in hindsight was too low for them and also could not compete with the other fish for food.
I too love planted tanks and have one 40 gallon with co2 injection. Having an aerator (air wand or powerhead) as far as I know will negate the effects of the co2 injection, by displacing it. I believe,you will have more oxygen but only because co2 is displaced and not because oxygen is added.
With co2 injection you want as little turbulence as possible.
That said, the plants of course will give off lots of o2 during the day if "happy". A night shut off valve for the CO2 is imperative.
Regarding light my various zebra tanks have approx 2 watts per gallon for my viewing pleasure.
For some reason I cant keep glosso for any length of time maybe due to some fish eating it? but riccia, I have to throw handfuls of it away every couple of weeks and people are paying £ 3 for a small portion.!!!!!!!
Regarding plants you could always order a discus selection which would do well in higher temps.
Regards,
Des.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Thanx Barbie and Des.......
I would have to agree with the both of you. I was tring to sike myself out and tring to find excusses..... :x But I guess I have to buy another tank.... :D or barbie when are you going to sell those zebra condos??

Jerms
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The zebra condos hang inside an existing tank, and aren't supplementally heated, so they really wouldn't do you any good for something like this, IMO. You'll still need a second tank to get the parameters where they need to be. He's selling them now, so if you need the info to contact him, just PM me :)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]