Ideal setup?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

stang1
Groupie

Ideal setup?

Post by stang1 »

I want to make sure that I get the setup just right for my Zebras and am hoping that someone could help and advise please?
At the moment I have 4 Zebras, yet to be sexed, although I think 2 of them may be males. The reason for this is that two of them were having a bit of a tussle the other day and getting quite aggressive towards each other.
We have bogwood, slate and 3 slate caves in the tank but I read somewhere about positioning the caves so that the water flows through them. Is this correct?
Any hints or tips would be great.
Many thanks,
Angie
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The perfect setup.. well.. we can only get so close to what they really think is the best I guess :D

It says a bit about parameters here: http://www.zebrapleco.com/article2.php , but you might be looking for advice on the aquascaping first and foremost as you mentioned your caves?

How the individual male prefers his cave to be positioned varies, so you will have to try different positions related to the current and see what your fish prefers. The most common is the current from the side of the cave, but some prefer to have the current from the back - and even facing the front.

Bare bottom is most common in a breeding tank, although slates are getting more and more used. Reason for this would be estethical, as I don't think the fish care one way or the other :)

Lots of hidingplaces, one cave for each male until it's time for breeding.

Take a picture of your tank and tell us about your equipment and water parameters. It will make it easier to advice about your particular setup ;)
stang1
Groupie

Post by stang1 »

Thank you so much for your reply. :)
This is our tank at the moment, looks quite bleak in the photo!

The tank is 31"L x 18"H x 14"D and we have a Fluval 205 external filter. There is one powerhead which can be seen in the top right hand corner that is directed into the middle of the tank.
The Zebras like to hide under the slate and bogwood but aren't really interested in the caves.
Any other help you could give will be very much appreciated,
Angie
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

They might be too young to be interested in the caves... I would mount a heater guard to prevent burns if they decide to sit on the heater, and add a diffusor to the power head (I think there's one included with that power head? A thin hose with a valve?), part from that it looks good to me :)

I'm sure others would like to give their opinion as well :)
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I use a very similar set-up to your photo Stang.

The cave layout looks good. I position my caves at various angles in the tank so the males can choose for themselves which cave they prefer. I also, and this comes down to personal choice but I always position 2 out of the 3 caves out of my line of sight. Breeding has only ever taken place in the caves which aren't in view. That's not to say they won't breed in caves you can see directly into but I do think that if they feel more secure and happier in a 'private' enviroment then in turn, they should be more likely to spawn.
I also make sure, as it appears that you have also done, that I position the slate in such a way that there is at least one position near each cave where a female can comfortably reside while checking the male out. Again, if females are happpiest in a spot which by default means they have a constant view of a particular male in his cave then imo it can only help promote the possibilty of spawning.

Again like McEve stated, I'm now a full convert to bare-bottom tanks when it comes to raising the fry however it sounds like you're a while away from that aspect so in the meantime I'd keep the substrate as the adults definitely prefer it, and watching them shimmy in the sand is very amusing.

Plastic Mac
stang1
Groupie

Post by stang1 »

Thanks to you both, you've been a great help. :)
We have got a heater guard, not taking any chances on them getting hurt! It doesn't stand out very well on the picture but it does wrap around the whole of the heater.
I will definitely move the caves so that they are more hidden as I've noticed that the Zebras are quite shy. We've moved things around a couple of times but we are really set on getting it right. It's so much easier for my other Plecos, we just chuck a load of bogwood in the tank and they love it!
Anyway, thanks again and I'll post more pics when we've rearranged it.
Angie x
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

stang1 wrote: We have got a heater guard, not taking any chances on them getting hurt!
I'm sorry, I didn't see it :) Looks like you have everything under control :)
stang1
Groupie

Post by stang1 »

McEve wrote:
stang1 wrote: We have got a heater guard, not taking any chances on them getting hurt!
I'm sorry, I didn't see it :) Looks like you have everything under control :)
No problem. :wink:
stang1
Groupie

Post by stang1 »

Just wanted to say thanks to both McEve and Plastic Mac for the advice. We added a bit more bogwood and slate to encourage the Zebras out and about more and to also use the caves. It worked!!
We now have one that comes to sit at the front of the tank and two of the Zebras have cosied up together under a bit of slate (positioned to look like a cave).
Thanks again,
Angie x
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Stang1,

Nice setup you have there, looks like you have everything under control.
As PM has said I have often found that breeding takes place in caves that are in a more "private" location but this isn't always the case. I have had a breeding trio of zebras in a tank which is in the kitchen, all caves were facing towards the front of the tank.

I have found placing a surplus of caves in different positions less hassle and disruptive to the zebras than constantly moving a couple around in an attempt to get the right location/position. When the male picks his favourite cave you can remove some of the others. This could also help to alleviate some of the aggression you are seeing at the moment.

Adam
stang1
Groupie

Post by stang1 »

Thanks Adam for that info.
I think they are still too small to breed but I wanted to get the tank set up perfectly so they are happy in their home. :)