New tank setup

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

DanD
Groupie

New tank setup

Post by DanD »

I was unhappy with the original setup I posted before so I went ahead and redid things.

Switched out the gravel for black Tahitian moon sand.
There seems to be alot of debate whether sand or BB is better so I thought it would be fun to try both and let the zebs decide. Half the tank is BB and half has a thin (1-2cm) layer of sand.

Has anyone tried this before or are there any negative effects to this? One potential problem I could see is that if the zebs do prefer one over the other they could all end up on one side. I have plenty of sand to fill in the rest of the tank if needed.

Replaced powerhead with a sponge filter giving the tank 2 filtration systems. Most people seemed to agree that overfiltration is a good thing. The sponge filter creates a nice current in the tank.

Home-made Slate caves. The "Cave condo" has 3 standard size (1.5in x 5in x 1in) caves. The bottom middle isnt really a cave as it has no backing, its more of a tunnel. The top right is a sort of weird shaped cave made from some leftover pieces I had. Its a little smaller than normal but younger zebs might like it. The rest of the caves are also standard size +/- 2mm.

Some of the driftwood is a little on the smaller side so I wasnt sure how to position it in a way the zebs would like and use it.

I have some tiger barbs in there right now to help cycle the water. I will probably move them to another tank in the future if/when I manage to get some zebs.

The sponge filter + air heads create alot of bubbles so the tank should be well oxygenated. I've been keeping the temp at 80-82 F.

PH is 7.6

Semi hard water with KH in ideal range (According to test kit, I forgot to bring in the numbers and I'm at work now)

Please let me know what you think.

civicr
Obsessed!!

tank

Post by civicr »

very nice and clean.weres all the zebs lol
DanD
Groupie

Post by DanD »

No zebs yet. The tank is still cycling and I have no idea when and where I will be able to get them but that will be somewhere in future
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Very nice indeed....looks like you've done your homework :D
Just a couple of comments...this setup is good for mature/breeding zebras. In my own experience smaller fry/juvies have no use for the caves & prefer a lot of slate stone formations to hide. If you do get adults or near adults, watch the current, make sure its not shooting straight to the caves' entrance.

I wouldn't torture any fish to do cycling...I do fishless cycling & works like a charm in about a week's time....

Good luck. Dan
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

very nice, although once you put the bottom feeders in there the sand will no doubt get spread all over.
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

DanD...nice looking tank.....how big is it?

ApacheDan...how do you do a fishless cycle in a weeks time?
DanD
Groupie

Post by DanD »

It is a 20G Long tank. I am planning on 3-5 zebs max in this tank.

When I manage to get them I will start up another BB tank for later if/when there are some frys
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

Lifted193 wrote: ApacheDan...how do you do a fishless cycle in a weeks time?
1/ start a new tank with dechlorinated water
2/ get clear 100% ammonia at any supermarket
3/ add ammonia until you get a reading of 2ppm, should be about 5 drops per 10 gals, depending on your ammonia, which is already diluted
4/ raise your temp to 88-90 F, best for bacteria
5/ this is the tricky part....inoculating the tank. I inoculate with commercial products, like Kent's cycle; but the really good ones you should already have. Get sponges/filter materials from your other tanks and literally rinse them off in the new aquarium....to the point that you can barely see your hand when you put it in. I know this sounds dirty for a new aquarium, but it works wonders & it will clear
6/ use sponge filters on your new aquarium to establish fast bacteria colonies. I use Magnum canisters with sponge on the intake, plus a powerhead with sponge
7/ first day, your readings should read toxic levels of ammonia. There after, you should read high levels of nitrite....good, means the bacterias are starting to work.
8/don't change this water. it will turn murky, meaning bacteria in suspension....looking for surface to grab & establish. Keep doing your daily readings... when ammonia & nitrite levels are 0 cycle is completed. Lower your temperature. Now you can gradually introduce your first fishes (please not the fancy ones first!)
9/ start doing partial water changes...whole process has taking as little as 4-7 days for me....I've heard of 48 hours too! :D
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

A weeks time?

Squeeze some filter media/sponge from an established tank to jump start. I have used Bio-Spira by Marineland and it worked perfectly with my Tropheus Moorii Ilangi which cost me something comparable to Zebras and it worked like a charm!

What I would do though is get some good/healthy fish and use the Bio-Spira and keep an eye on the water parameters and then when you get your zebras just swap the fish for the zebras.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
DanD
Groupie

Post by DanD »

Made a few changes:

davo
Groupie

Post by davo »

DanD

much improved :wink:
all you need now are zebras :roll:
John

Post by John »

Looks fine to me :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
tirzo13
Groupie

Post by tirzo13 »

nice, will make some zebra's very happy.