Tank size for 4 zebs?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Tank size for 4 zebs?

Post by rich1988oxford »

Do you guys reckon a three foot tank is adequate for four zebs if i was hoping to breed them in the near future.
Cheers
Rich
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

thats more than enough space mate!
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Should be fine but what size and sex are the zebs?
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

I dont actually have the zebs yet and i doubt i will be able sex tham when they arrive at the weekend as they are only about 1inch in size. I have ordered a entire system from seashell aquariums which has two one and a half foot tanks draining down into a three foot. The water will then be pumped back up to the two small tanks by a thermo ehiem prof 2 and a fluval 105. I will fill one of the small tanks with java moss to remove any large particles that the filters dont pick up. The other small tank is where i will transfer any babies if or when they breed. Do you think i have enough filteration or is it worth upgrading the fluval 105 to a 405?. All in all how do you think that system sounds, can you think of any bad points that i may need to address?
Cheers for the help
Rich
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The most glaring problem isnt a worry now, if you manage to grow out your zebs and then get them spawning, that is when it will occur. That is the danger/problems any central system can cause- if a contagious disease starts in any of the three tanks its in all of them. Any wipe out type illness will likely wipe out all your zebs.

Once I hit the my 5th spawn I began to spread the fry into seperate growout tanks to prevent any total wipe outs.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

infact, im glad you have said that because that is a very good point that i had forgotten about. The three tanks will have cut off valves so i suppose if i spotted anything in one of the tanks i could switch the rest off, then again it would only work if i spot the symtoms as earlier as possible, which can easily be misssed. I am going to be running a vectron UV steraliser on the system so that should help. The only reason i decided to go for a linked system is so that i could move any zebs about without having to worry about different water parimeters.
Cheers for the comment it is a very good point.
Thanks
Rich
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

If you start up a smaller growout tank you cant initially fill it with 50% water from the breeding tank to avoid any big problems. I am very fortunate ti have excellent well water and I can move fish at will w/o having to worry about this sort of thing.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.