newbie some help plzzz

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

civicr
Obsessed!!

newbie some help plzzz

Post by civicr »

im wondering what the best kind of sand is for the zebs as im setting up there new tank very soon?also hav any of u got a gavel vac what has batary power are they any good?also are u able to use lave rock in the tank with the zebs so i can giv them some hidy holes?aswell as slate an bog wood, thanks ryan
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Hi Ryan,
Normal aquarium sand or silver sand is probably the best, although make sure you have a very thin layer and stir it often or have lots of trumpet snails to make sure you don't get any gas pockets which can kill Zebrasand other fish.
I would avoid lava rock as it is quite sharp and could easily damage sparring zebras and just stick with the slate and bogwood. As for the battery syphon i have no idea if they are any good as i have never used one. Hope this helps.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Personally I would avoid the Malayan snail, it adds to the biological load.

I know it works for some people, I also use gravel and have had no problems with dead spots, adults or fry.

Just keep the substrate very thin.

Dave
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

im using estes and tahitan moon sand in my tank and its great, i would steer awayr from lots of sand meant for saltwater or crushed coral. i have a thin layer in mine probably less than an inch and use a mini-python to gravel vac my tank and it works great. the mini-python will actually clean the sand without sucking it all out.

i agree with the others lava rock wouldnt be the best thing to use.