moving into the cave

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

chanettt
Obsessed!!

moving into the cave

Post by chanettt »

how long does it take for zebras to move into the cave?

since i remove my zebras to the new tank with a new cave, all of them prefer to stay under the drftwood.

i also rearrange the tank to look like what McEve did on the zebcam but they still prefer staying under the shadow in a big area.

i don't know is that normal since here is only a driftwood in my old tank.

now they seem to gaurd their area. chasing other male that came across each other spot. for the biggest male, he let my only female to stay him him.

if they took that seriously, i am afraid that they will never move into the caves.

John

Post by John »

Channett,

How long are they in there?
Patience grasshopper :)

Greetings
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

couple days :?
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

My Zeebs have had caves available to them since early August. They still all hang out under pieces of wood.

So either mine are all female or they get claustrophobia or they just like their wood too much :?:

My albino bristlenoses got caves the same time and are on their third spawn already :roll:
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
Zoban
Groupie

Post by Zoban »

I may be way off but in the pics it looks like the output for your Ehiem would be causing a current to flow across the top of the tank down the front to then go straight into the front of the caves.

Maybe try moving the output to the end of the tank (side) to change the current to go across the front of the cave and the length of the tank?

I'm sure I be corrected if wrong on this thought just know that with my BN's they do not like the current flowing into the cave but past it instead.
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

thank you Zoban, in fact i understand the point that you say about the current. however, in this tank also have another eheim 2212 on the top left of the tank which will create the current from left to right cross the front of the cave as well. ( it is not there in the picture, my bad) so if the current really effect the zebras on moving in then i will turn the spray head up. this way the current will come only from ehiem 2212 on the left top of the tank only.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

if the caves aren't claimed it will be a good idea to move them. Try a different angle, and maybe not so close together.

Different males prefer their caves at different position, so if the caves aren't taken (they look great btw!) then try positioning them differently :)
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i try with different spot already as you can see in my old tank set up post. (at the end of left side and right side) however, it still doesn't wok so i try the same way i saw from McEve set up. so now i want to know is the angle of the cave is the reason or something else. i don't want to stress them too much by moving around the cave til they move in. so are they usually move into the cave right away? or i have to wait for a couple week.
if they move right away then i guess i have to keep moving things around.
by the way any other possible reason on this except the angle and current? :?:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

When I set up a new tank I wait for two weeks to see which cave they move into. If a cave is left I move it a few inches, not much, just to face the opening in a different angle and see what happens :)
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

so now i will wait for a couple week then, thank you McEve :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Patience is a virtue, if not a neccessity in this hobby chanettt :lol: You'll get it right :)