Tank Stocking Question

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

lochness

Tank Stocking Question

Post by lochness »

I've got a 90g with 2 Rena's XP3s running - It houses 16 fish so far (3 plecs, 6 bosemani rainbows, 5 cherry barbs, and 2 gouramis)

I have in mind to get either 5 denison barbs or 12 cardinal tetras

Can I get them all or one or the other :?:

I don't quite know when there might be *too many* fish in this tank - I want them all but I'd rather the fish be happy :)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

p.s.
I kept some zebras about 12 yrs ago when they were relatively new to the hobby and highest price was $50 - and the news that they were dying on most fishkeepers. My 3 stayed with me for almost a yr and then sadly died off as little was known about their dietary needs (and I was a pleco fanatic then with 3 tanks and 8 plecos so it was especially heartwrenching) In a few mos I intend to get a 20g zebra breeder as I become re-educated in the hobby, so this question about tank stocking is pretty important to me. :)
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

In a 90g tank, you definetely would have allot of middle/top dwellers, so the fish would be overstocked with lots of them.

What type of gourami did you get? Other than dwarf gouramis, regular gouramis can get aggressive towards each other.
lochness

Post by lochness »

2 dwarf gouramis (1 male 1 female) the male has been put in his place by the rainbows :)

- i should specifiy the 90gal is tall (4' long)
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

Standard rate is 12" per square foot of surface area for a comunity tank, though I would reduce this if you want to keep more plecs as they do require more oxygen, and if you want to keep zebs happy you will need a higher temp than is the norm for comunity fish (this reduces the oxygen further!).

Al.C
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have both denisonii and cards. They do not work well together in the same tank. The barbs are a very active fish which puts off the cards who do not understand this larger fish is not a danger. Instead of schooling, the cards hid in the plants all the time.

The cards are now in with 5 similarly sized SAEs which don't seem to worry the cards as much.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.