started a new tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

took some new pictures of the tank....

chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

very nice, there are plenty hidding spot for zebra which is close to each cave. i guess this way the male and female will see each other a lot and might help them get in the mood easier.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It looks really nice, but personally I would put more til and less bogwood in there.

Try to get something that the female can hide under right next to the males cave. A piece of slate resting on the top of the cave is perfect for this purpose ;)
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

does it make a big different to put the slate resting on the top of the cave McEve? and do you mean put some more wood til have less space in the driftwood is that right? :?:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

what I mean is something like this

Let there be hidingplaces close to the males cave, that way she can sneak closer og get in the cave easier.

Doesn't have to be like that, I just found it to be beneficial for my fish.

In this case I've put the driftwood on top of the slate stacking
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

thank you McEve, with a picture i understand what you mean. does female zebra prefer the slate you put (like in the picture) more than the driftwood?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The females I have do, but that doesn't mean other females wouldn't prefer bogwood.

My impression is that Zebras prefer slate before any other material, but others may have a different experience

The wood I have in my tanks are sometimes used to gnaw on, but rarely used to hide in. That might be because I have provided other hidingplaces which they prefer, but will hide in bogwood if no other alternative is available.

This is just my observations, and is of course not to be taken as THE truth.
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

only thing i worry about slate is that it might fall and kill the zebra. by the way don't know where to find a big flat one like that. :?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

No it wont fall. You just have to plan how to stack them so that they do not fall. no problem. like this

You can see two females hiding between the slate, and the large male waiting in his cave
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

wowww i can see one cadinal from live view. can it survive with that current? by the way, is that the bubbles or sand that flow around?
(i can watch this for all day long~ love it)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's bubbles :) I put one cardinal in there as a canary when I started medicating the tank. As you can see they're all happy and well now, I'll start medicating the third tank today ;)

the other cams are here: http://www.zebrapleco.com/zebcam.php and here: http://www.zebrapleco.com/zebcam3.php

There's a lot to be found in the menus ;)
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

nice i guess i have to set up my tank with this kind of format as it's easy to take a look at the zebra, zebra loves it this way and also easy to breed. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Sorry about hijacking your thread eklikewhoa :( I hope you still got some ideas from our posts :)
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

sorry as well. :oops:
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

no worries on the hijack though i dont view it as such with all the info loaded into it.

i was thinking about more slate myself and was going to pile against the wood. i will get some this weekend and try it out, but i have seen lots of pictures where the plecs hide under the driftwood or rest on it.