started a new tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

started a new tank

Post by eklikewhoa »

i recently setup a planted tank for some future zebras but it sidetracked really fast and is now a full blown plant tank so i decided to start a new tank for the zebra's.

here it is

20L
malaysian driftwood
white and black sand mixed together
will have a eheim 2213

chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

nice set up and your zebra will love it as i do :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It looks great - but ...20Liters..? that's two buckets of water. Are you sure it's a twenty Liter? :D
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

in the pic i saw 30x12x... i guess if that is in "inches" then it would be more than 20 liter for sure. (30x12x12 = 69.12 liter and i guess the last number is more than 12 for sure) by the way 2213 is for the maximum tank size of 75 liter. :roll:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

70 or 80 sounds more likely for sure. You're more observant than I am chanettt ;)
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

sorry, i keep forgetting that there are other countries here :oops:
its a 20gallon long so the height is less but the footprint is more.

i was wondering, everywhere i read about wood for plecos i see bogwood but when i look for it i find nothing. is bogwood just another name for driftwood and will the zebras like the malaysian driftwood?

another question, the current is going to be pretty strong with the eheim 2213 so i was wondering how i would feed them? especially frozen foods or homemade stuff since they arent like regular fish who swim to the top of the tank when you walk up to it.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I keep finding bitemarks in the mangrove roots in their tanks, so I know they like an occational nibble on this kind of wood.

About feed and current. Some people solve the problem with arranging the decor to make some areas current free, others turn of their filters for half an hour.

Personally I like option 1 best as the filter can soon turn into a nuclear bomb when turned off (meaning lots of bad bacteria that will kill your fish can start evolving in the filter sooner than you think)
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

thanks for the fast reply!!!

i tested the water and here's how it reads

ph 6.8-7.0
kh 7 dKH 125.3 ppm
gh 8 dGH 143.2 ppm

is this ok for them?
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

good enough

Post by CDNAqua »

good enough

Peace
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Yeah, I thought he meant 20 liters too, but when I looked where he was from (Houston, Texas), I figured he meant 20 Long, since we people in the US do not use liters.

I like the wood in the tank. Where did you get those caves?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

20 inches long then?
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i got them from aquabid.com

search cave and the seller is hoksumm, great person to deal with and he shipped really fast and even custom built two to my specs.
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

This is to McEve.It is a 20 gallon (long) tank.Its 30" long and 12"deep and tall.That would be about 90 litters.I have a 75 (long) witch measures 48"x18"x20".That would be about 340 litters.Just some general info.
Bobby
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Hi eklikewhoa,

I too use a 20L for my colony and I actually have an Eheim 2213, an Odyssea CF 4 (250gph) and a Maxi-Jet 400 powerhead running on it and the flow is not that strong at all. I just started feeding frozen bloodworms last week and I just throw in the frozen popsicle into the tank and as it melts the bloodworms fall onto the substrate - away from the flow of the output.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

Raul-7 wrote:Hi eklikewhoa,

I too use a 20L for my colony and I actually have an Eheim 2213, an Odyssea CF 4 (250gph) and a Maxi-Jet 400 powerhead running on it and the flow is not that strong at all. I just started feeding frozen bloodworms last week and I just throw in the frozen popsicle into the tank and as it melts the bloodworms fall onto the substrate - away from the flow of the output.

thanks for the input!! how many do you keep in the 20? im thinking anywhere from 3-5 right now which are fry.