Forced eviction?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Pete
Obsessed!!

Forced eviction?

Post by Pete »

My Zebs have spent all their time hanging out under small pieces of low-lying driftwood. Usually each one seems to have his/her preferred piece and location under that piece - clearly they have a level of 'comfort'. Thing is, none of these pieces of wood provides an appropriate location for spawning should there turn out to be a mix of sexes.

I've recently introduced actual for-real 'caves' into the tank, with the obvious thoughts/hopes :D Thing is, none of my zebs appears inclined in the least to 'move home' from their favourite piece of wood to any of the caves.

My quandry is this: do I remove their beloved wood temporarily and force them to establish new quarters? Or do I just leave them to make up their own minds?
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Your best bet is to give them time. They will work it out by themselves.

Behaviour is a good indicator to gender. The ones that stay with the wood will inevitably be female and the males will fight over the best caves eventually establishing an alpha. Forcing things may stress them out.

Good luck

Bader
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

I agree with Bader but another point to consider is size of fish and size of cave.

In my experience fish of various sizes tend to favour retreats that are fairly snug in fit. While the size of breeding caves for mature fish is fairly well documented, this may not be this size of choice when given a choice, which bogwood obviousy does for less than mature fish.

Dave