New Setup

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

New Setup

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

I did this about two months ago.

The tank went from this:

To this:

With my past setup, I couldn't keep an eye on my zebras or anything. Everything hid from me.

With the new setup, I now see all my zebras and was able to watch my fry grow up! :)

The gravel layer is very thin and I added a power head to the right side of the tank, aiming it towards the front middle. The power head is timed with my lights of the tank.

What do you think? :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

A much better setup for the Zebra. They rarely go for caves higher up, so the new setup should work good.

I like it :D
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

The new set-up is certainly much better for breeding, my only observation though is the distance between the caves; Are they too close together?!
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

That's a good question.

There are two larger caves in there that I can remove and add one more smaller one or just space them out again. I thought my golden would use one of the larger caves but it's never ventured into one.

So far the two males have kinda stuck close to each other, they're never on opposite sides of the tank and the fry are sticking close to each other and the adults. The two adult males are always atleast a cave apart or on one side of the drift wood of each other.

I guess with the layout I was aiming for a more close colony feeling. Zebras are territorial but I would assume in nature that a strong colony would have lots of hiding places for their young and spawning points for the alpha... Just guessing though.

- Angela
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I would keep an eye on the alpha male to see how he behaves when the other male zebs take up caves. I'm sure I read another thread somewhere on here that mentioned some alphas not liking occupied caves either side of their own.

Have you had two spawns at the same time in this tank? I ask cos your alpha male might decide that HE is going to be the only one that gets to spawn and may ram raid any other attempts.
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

I think I'll see some behavior differences once I move the golden out of the tank and find a new home for the rosy barbs...

Right now, the alpha barely comes out to say hello and when the second male comes near, the alpha chases him away but not far.

I did have a female but she passed away and showed no interest in the two males when I had her. She was with them for 6-8 months and then I found her dead :( no signs to cause of death just sitting pretty and lifeless ;(

I think it'll be awhile before I get the opportunity for another female. I just want to keep the zebras I have happy and healthy until then :)

- Angela