When to Change Heaters

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

stripeythingy
Forum Follower

When to Change Heaters

Post by stripeythingy »

I currently use a Visitherm heater which i have had for 14 months, when should i replace it with a new heater? I know the Visitherm heaters are guaranteed for 5 years, but i do not want to wait until it malfunctions to replace it any thoughts?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I use visitherm and they've always been very reliable for me so I wouldn't worry too much about it after only 14 months. However, if you do want a back up because the heater fails then there is nothing stopping you buying one now so you're ready for when it does need replacing.

If your concerned about the thermostat getting stuck in the on position and 'frying' your fishes and/or wanting to replace before failure as you mentioned. Then I think the easiest solution to that is to buy two smaller heaters and use both at the same time. Neither on their own would be enough to fry the fish assuming one of them did fail but they would be effective enough on they're own to heat the tank. Atleast till you sorted a replacement. Basically, not sticking all of your eggs in one basket so to speak.

Plastic Mac
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Plastic Mac covered it all, but I just wanted to add that I know of several fishkeepers that change thier heaters once a year - regardless of brand.

I like the idea of having two undersized heaters.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

One way to ensure that your heater never gets stuck in the on position is to use a temperature controller. I use a Ranco controller with my Stealth Visitherm, and no more hassling with the knob inside the tank - just punch in the numbers on the module, and it stays within .5+/- of the temperature you selected. Of course, this is not cheap (cost around $75), but I guess it pays for itself since we are keeping rather expensive fish and replacing the heater every year is wasteful.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I have run Visitherms for about nine years without problem, going down the 2 x small wattage unit route as well. I have also used a Rena unit for about ten years as well.
stripeythingy
Forum Follower

When to Change Heater

Post by stripeythingy »

Thankyou for your thoughts, i think i will replace my 100w heater for two 50w heaters. Does anybody know where to buy Visitherm heaters and the heater guards on the web, i can find the heaters but not the guards.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Here's a heat guard, but I haven't tried it myself. The shop is giving good service and are accomodating in every way.
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z039134.asp#product292