My zebra tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

n00dl3
Obsessed!!

My zebra tank

Post by n00dl3 »

My new zebra tank setup. I am still working on it. Just don't know what else to put in there. I would like to keep it simple. I will probably keep the right side open for feeding purpose. My tank turnover is around 18+.

I have in my setup the following:

Eheim 2126 with diffuser and heater
Maxi Jet 1200 with diffuser
will have 5 zebras

I don't have the filter in yet because it's cycling in my mature tank to speed up the process.

What do ya'all think? Constructive criticism is appreciate. Thanks
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Looks like my master bathroom. :wink:

Jokes aside, it looks perfect. Nice cave placement and the slate bunker provides enough shade; also it's close proximity to the caves is a bonus.

Just make sure you secure the bunker with silicone all the way through.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Raul-7 wrote:Looks like my master bathroom. :wink:

Jokes aside, it looks perfect. Nice cave placement and the slate bunker provides enough shade; also it's close proximity to the caves is a bonus.

Just make sure you secure the bunker with silicone all the way through.
Thanks Raul...
LoL.. pretty cool you got zebras swimming around in your master bathroom.
The bunker is 100% silicon up and secure. Only the drift wood and cave are not secure.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Looks nice and simple like you wanted, my only criticism would be that the open feeding area might not work.

I had an open eating area in between two caved areas with various hiding places close by because I found that the zebs like to know they're not out in the open, as such, when they're eating.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

nesolb wrote:Looks nice and simple like you wanted, my only criticism would be that the open feeding area might not work.

I had an open eating area in between two caved areas with various hiding places close by because I found that the zebs like to know they're not out in the open, as such, when they're eating.
Nesolb, an interesting point you've made about the open feeding area. How did you fixed that?
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

There's a pic of my tank set-up on the forum somewhere but I can't find if at the mo.

I basically just gave them some degree of cover so they could come out of hiding and eat but also not be too far away from cover should they feel the need to dart off, which they love to do!!!!
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

nesolb wrote:There's a pic of my tank set-up on the forum somewhere but I can't find if at the mo.

I basically just gave them some degree of cover so they could come out of hiding and eat but also not be too far away from cover should they feel the need to dart off, which they love to do!!!!
Here is your tank: http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=nesolb

I see that you have hiding spots on the left and right side, and your middle is open. Is the middle part where you feed all your zebras?
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Feeding bunker placement

Post by CDNAqua »

Hi Zeb Heads,

Something to consider before you place your feeding bunker.

Noodle, you stated you have not placed your ehiem filter in tank yet.
When you do it will change currrent from what you have now.
That being said,i would experiment with placement wehn you do add Eheim to the tank.... IMHO I would place your Feeding bunker OVER where the food will pool from current. This makes it easy to remove uneaten food and the zebs will learn where the food is as it will be in same spot all the time.

Peace

Troy
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Re: Feeding bunker placement

Post by n00dl3 »

CDNAqua wrote:Hi Zeb Heads,

That being said,i would experiment with placement wehn you do add Eheim to the tank.... IMHO I would place your Feeding bunker OVER where the food will pool from current. This makes it easy to remove uneaten food and the zebs will learn where the food is as it will be in same spot all the time.

Peace

Troy
Troy,

You brought up an interesting point about the food placement. I'll place the Eheim filter spray on the left side along with the maxi jet powerhead. So all the current is push to the right then loop underneath to pool on the left side. I will probably take your advice and feed the zebras on the left where all the food will pool.

Do you think I should place the suckling intake of the filter on left or right?
I was thinking that should place on the right side but it doesn't have any purpose there. After some thinking, I will probably put the suckling intake of the filter on the left because that is where everything will end up.
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Re: Feeding bunker placement

Post by CDNAqua »

n00dl3 wrote:
CDNAqua wrote:Hi Zeb Heads,

Peace

Troy
Troy,

You brought up an interesting point about the food placement. I'll place the Eheim filter spray on the left side along with the maxi jet powerhead. So all the current is push to the right then loop underneath to pool on the left side. I will probably take your advice and feed the zebras on the left where all the food will pool.

Do you think I should place the suckling intake of the filter on left or right?
I was thinking that should place on the right side but it doesn't have any purpose there. After some thinking, I will probably put the suckling intake of the filter on the left because that is where everything will end up.
Noodl3,

Sounds like a good plan to me. As long as the filter intake is not to close to where the food is pooling. Idealy you want to be able to add your worms and or dry foods to the bunker area and it will just kind of swirl/stay there. Much easier and healthier to manually suck uneaten food from bottom then to have it lost in your filter to deal with.

Peace

Troy
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Troy,

Thanks for the advice... I will try it out and let you...
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

My tank set up is in it's third or forth variation now but still looks pretty similar to the one you posted the link to.

The middle part was intended to be the open feeding area and it also turned out to be, as Troy has mentioned, the place where the food would pool.

I made sure I put in enough cover in the immediate areas so they could dart off if disturbed but also not be too far away from it.

Also breaking the tank up like I have seems to form two seperate areas to which I have twice had two spawns.

I think you should set the tank up roughly how it's going to be before you put the zebs in, with all the filters and powerheads running, and put some food in to see where it pools. If you need to adjust it at least you won't be upsetting the zebbies.

Let us know how you get on.