My Zebra Tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

My Zebra Tank

Post by Miezekatze »

hi..

this is my zebra setup.. i hope you like this pictures..

200L juwel rio
1400 L/h
8 h. zebra + 2 new one in the next weeks...
temperature 30°c

comments ?

greetz
christian
Kind Regards
Christian

http://www.APSnet.de
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

It looks really good Miezekatze i love the wood :D The only thing i can see as a potential problem might be the sand depth towards the front of the tank where there are no plants, it could lead to anaerobic dead spots forming that could kill you fish.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Love the layout and the roots especially. Very pleasing to look at! I jsut wonder if there might be a bit too many caves.... You run the risk of a male not being able to decide which one he likes the best and claim it.
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hi

@zebrastorey
hehe, no chance... in front of the caves there is shale on the ground... i hate it if the plecos make my sand and ground to a kind of minefield :P or what do you mean ? there is enough oxygen in the tank, because of my 2 diffuser. i've loosen the sand as i put it into the tank, so no "air" in it...

@mceve
my problem is that 6 of my 8 zebras are males. i hope i`ll get 2 new females in the next weeks. so i need those caves.

p.s.: i have a 9cm romp (hoyden? sorry i'm just german, no idea how to call it in english :P it's not everyday language hehe) who is the king in my tank, so lots of caves against conflicts between the males..

regards
Last edited by Miezekatze on Sat May 27, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards
Christian

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

actually, you might get more conflicts over the caves if the big male doesn't decide which one he wants, but starts cave jumping. In which case ALL the caves are his, and there'll be constant bickering over them = unnessesary stress.

If you have 8 males, then give them 8 caves. They'll claim one each, the alpha will of course get the best one, then according to pecking order for the others.

Of course, this is just my opinion ;)
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hehe oki

I'll think about it. thanks a lot...
Kind Regards
Christian

onemisterchristian
Forum Follower

Post by onemisterchristian »

Hey, I was just wondering; with all this concern about the building up of gasses under deeper sand, has anyone actually seen or had a zebra or any other fish die from running into one of these gas pockets? I'm not denying their existence or potential danger but has anyone had any first hand experienced it?
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

onemisterchristian wrote:Hey, I was just wondering; with all this concern about the building up of gasses under deeper sand, has anyone actually seen or had a zebra or any other fish die from running into one of these gas pockets? I'm not denying their existence or potential danger but has anyone had any first hand experienced it?
I actually had first hand expierence with H2S yesterday while rearranging the Zebra tank. I moved a piece of driftwood and immedietely I smelled it, without panicking I changed 50% of the water and removed a lot of the sand I originally had in there. Thankfully, I suffered no lossess or nor did I witness the fish or shrimp in stress.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

onemisterchristian wrote:has anyone had any first hand experienced it?
I've lost fry due to this problem. If you read previous threads about sand vs no sand, you'll find that I was in favour of sand. I no longer am
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hi

i have about 200 - 300 minimum trumpet snails in my tank, so the sand is free from H2S
Kind Regards
Christian

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That used to be my argument. I had tons of trumpet snails too.
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hm

i never had any problems with sand in my tanks. i'm not a fan of tanks without any ground, because without sand or gravel there will always be a small film of bacteria, and you have to clean it minimum every 3 days.
Kind Regards
Christian

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

that used to be my argument too :lol:

I've ended up with a compromise, I've got tiles on the bottom of my tanks now. Some people use slate as well, works fine both.
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

McEve wrote:that used to be my argument too :lol:

I've ended up with a compromise, I've got tiles on the bottom of my tanks now. Some people use slate as well, works fine both.
hehe eve,

some pics available...? pleeeeeaaaassseeeee :P
Kind Regards
Christian

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »