2 Maxi Jet 600 Or 2 Rio 600 powerhead

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

n00dl3
Obsessed!!

2 Maxi Jet 600 Or 2 Rio 600 powerhead

Post by n00dl3 »

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of making my zebra plecos breeding tank. I am planning to use eheim 2224 with diffuser for filter. As for water flow, I don't know what to use between the Maxi-Jet - 600 PH PowerHead at 160 gph or Rio 600 Submersible Water Pump 200 gph. I want to have enough water flow to stimulate spawning. I want to buy a quality product too. The price won't matter to me. So what do ya'all think?

My tank is 36" x 12" x 16" or 30 gallon.

Thanks

N00dl3
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Maxijets with their prefilter sponge would allow you secondary biological filtration in case of a filter failure. I would definitely recommend them, and I'd recommend the 1200s, not the 600s. I've actually got a 900 in a 10 gallon tank with a pair of Hypancistrus. It would work fine. You can always diffuse the flow across the surface and increase aeration.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Barbie,

The secondary biological filteration sound great. Thanks for the advice.

So I should go will two (2) Maxi - Jet 1200s for my setup then?

n00dl3
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I have a 36x12x15 tank with an external eheim 2224, so a very similar tank to yours.

I use the eheim with a spray bar above the water surface point downwards and then I use two aquaclear 30 powerheads which have a turnover of 174gph each.
Both powerheads are in the tank upside down. I 've attached the available cartridge casings to both of them but removed the filter medium. The casings are only on there to prevent fish from getting to close to the powerhead internals. With the powerheads placed upside down I can direct the water flow right across the floor of the tank and give plenty of current.

If you're intending to implement the same kind of setup then both of those powerheads will provide easily enough current on your tank...but I'd go got the 200gph as you can always reduce to flow on them to suit.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Actually, this setup I am planning to do was inspired by plastic mac. Very cool design that I thought would work. thanks for the idea
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Just remember that airation - how much O2 you got in the water - is more important than the turnover rate itself.

Warm water and water rich in oxygen is contradictory, but that's what you'd aim to achieve
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Thanks for the coompliment N00dl3 :D

McEve is right you'll need to remember the aeration factor. I also use an interpet 3 airpump pumping to two airstones in the tank. So there's a lot of surface agitation when you include the spray bar on top of the airstones.... :D
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

McEve and Plastic Mac thanks for the advice.

I will prolly add a couple air pump into the tank then.

Is there a test that you could use to test how much oxygen is in the tank?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

You should be able to get an O2 test kit from your local fish shop...and it shouldn't cost mroe than a few quid.