My first Zebra Tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Musiccitysteve

My first Zebra Tank

Post by Musiccitysteve »

I am working on my first Zebra tank!

46 Gallon Bow Front
Bare Bottom with sand at one end
Eheim w/Spray Bar
4" Air Stone
200w Heater

The tank is starting to come together. All of my discus tanks are bare bottom but I put sand in one end of this tank because I have read that the Zebras like to play in it.

I built several slate caves and put a large cave in the middle to allow the fish to get out of the light, and I am not going to put any other fish in with them. There are currently 9 juveniles ranging in size from 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" in the tank and I am looking forward to watching them grow.

I am still working on the tank but I wanted to get some ideas as I go, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Steve Image
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

looking good!

have you got anything in there to produce a strong current? zebras like quite a strong current... also a little bit bog wood wouldnt go amiss. i find my 2 juviniles especially like to hang around in the cracks in the wood so if you can find a piece of bog wood with lots of cracks and splits in it im sure they'd love that.

anyway just my opinion.

all the best.

andrew
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Musiccitysteve

Post by Musiccitysteve »

Thanks Andrew,

I have a pile of driftwood pieces, I will add a couple.

The Eheim boils the water pretty well and there is a powerhead that you can't see in the back corner.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

My experience is that it's a high O2 level that is important, more than the current in it self, even though a high current will result in a high O2 level. Even so, adding a powerhead for a few weeks, then removing it can sometimes trigger a spawn.

Driftwood is important, mine eats it at times, so I feel that even though it doesn't happen often, it's important to have it available.
inia
Groupie

Post by inia »

You should put there more hiding places, small spaces between rocks. Every zebra likes to take his/hers own little space. I'd say there is now only 3 hiding places, the spawningcaves you have built. Other zebras will feel themselves very unsafe. So, add more rocks, bogwoods etc. Good luck!