My new tank setup

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Briesje
Groupie

My new tank setup

Post by Briesje »

hi guys (and girls also :lol: )

Today I had some time to setup the rio180 (180 l = 47,5 gallon)...
My trio of zebs will move into this tank... I'm also searching for some more... (another trio)

For the moment there are 17 cardinals swimming around... I will put some more in it... (I'm thinking of 40 cardinals in total)...

The fish into the floating thing are about 80 catfish youngsters, but they will move out soon...

I'll also put an extra filter in the tank to let the water circulate...

The parameters of the tank :
PH : 6,5 - 7
kH : 2 - 3
gH : 10
NO2 : 0
temperature : for the moment 26,5 °C (299,5 °K - 79,7 °F), but I'm heating it up step by step till it's 28,5°C (301,5 °K - 83,3 °F)

There are 2 caves in it for the moment, the other caves are in the other tank (with the zebs offcourse)...

Shoot if I'm doing something wrong about the tank... Any suggestion is welcome...

PICTURES (bad quality I know, but I'll make some better shoots when I do have the camera instead of this stupid one):

LEFT SIDE

RIGHT SIDE

LEFT - MIDDLE - RIGHT
Image Image Image

TOTAL VIEW
Keep on smiling... you never know who'll fall in love with your smile...
khblock
Obsessed!!

Post by khblock »

I like it a lot. The rocks are smooth and that driftwood looks like it belongs there.

Do you know what kind of rocks you have in the set-up? It looks like granite?
http://www.blockstyle.com
http://www.bestfriends.com
http://worldwildlifefund.org
http://www.oceanconservancy.org
trigger123
Forum Follower

Post by trigger123 »

Nice tank you got their!
but wont 40 Tetras be a bit much?
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Looks like a great setup mate your zebras should love it.
Andyt.
Groupie

Nice setup

Post by Andyt. »

That is a nice looking setup. The driftwood is perfect and looks like it belongs right where it is.

A comment and a question. First, thanks for providing the gallon conversion for the liters, that gave me a better idea of what I was looking at.

My question is what is the object in the front left of the aquarium? It has a black circular base and what looks like a transparent inverted cup protruding from the base.

I'll probably wind up embarrassed as it turns out to be something obvious and familiar but I sure don't recognize it.
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Briesje,

That's a lovely decorated tank you have there, very natural looking :D

The only criticms I have are that you have an awful lot of sand there and you will find that you will have your work cut out keeping it clean. You can use malasian trumpet snails in an attempt to turn the sand over and in doing so prevent the inevitable build up of pockets of noxious gas. Alternatively you could reduce the level of sand but seeing that the tank is planted I dont think that the plants will be happy with that. Through a combination of snails and manually turning the sand over during tank maintenance you may get away with it.

The canister type contraption in the corner of your tank I suspect is to inject C02. If so I really wouldn't go down the road of producing C02 in a tank 24 hours a day. Far better to control C02 production with a system that includes a night time shut off valve. Otherwise both plants and fish will be competing for 02 at night whilst C02 is still being injected with possible disastrous consequences for the fish.

Regards.

Adam
Briesje
Groupie

Post by Briesje »

Through a combination of snails and manually turning the sand over
during tank maintenance you may get away with it.
--> I always turn the sand over during tank maintenance, but I think I'll search for some snails...

The canister type contraption in the corner of your tank I suspect is to inject C02.
In fact it's for oxygen... You have to put some oxydator-solution in it...

I think the zebs are more at ease... They seem to enjoy the bigger tank...
Keep on smiling... you never know who'll fall in love with your smile...
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

are tetras in a zebra pleco breeding/show tank okay? will they eat babies?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

are tetras in a zebra pleco breeding/show tank okay? will they eat babies?
I have Cardinal Tetras in my zebra tank and they didn't pay any attention to my babies when the male kicked them out.