Breeding Tank Setup

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Breeding Tank Setup

Post by Raul-7 »

Hey fellow Zebrta pleco fanatics; I've been a long time admirer of this little fish, but unfortunately, after collecting them became outlawed in Brazil, their prices sky rocketed and continue to do so. But luckily I will manage to secure a trio (1 M:2 F) for a rather resonable price, so I will finally be able to persue my dream of breeding them successfully. Or at least I hope! :)

After a lot of reading and lurking, I've managed to put a tank-vision in mind. Suggestions are more than welcome!

Tank: 20G Long (30*12*12)
Filtiration: Odyssea CFS 4 150gph
Movement: Maxi-Jet 160gph
Heating: 150W Stealth Heater
Aeration: AirMaster Pump 2000
Substrate: Fine light-colored sand (Is PlaySand good?), scattered patches of natural gravel
Decoration: Bogwood; Java ferns, Mosses; Breeding caves made by a fellow member. :wink:

Is there anything wrong with this current setup? Would the heater still need a heater guard (Stealth heaters are plastic encased)? Is the movement I have enough? What about feeding, any recommend brands (like Hikari Sinking Wafers for example)?

Thanks!
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Your set-up sounds good. If it is purely for breeding purposes I would not recommend sand. I have used it, and it looks good, but it just gets in the way, especially if your tank is simply for breeding....you will want and need the cleanest possible tank. :D Good luck in breeding them! :D
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

But doesn't bare-bottom look un-natural? Thanks for motivation!

What food brands do you recommend? Do you think I have too much flow? Do you let the father tend to the fry or do you father them? :wink:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Hi Raul-7.

Seems you've got a lot of questions that need answering...something I think a lot of us have been through at the beginning. Most of your questions are a topic in their own right, and can probably be found doing a search through the forum for previous topics.

Your tank set-up sounds pretty much fine. I'm not aware of all the actual equipment you've got listed as manufacturers seem to differ in what part of the world your in, e.g. I've never heard of Odyssea filters. I only use eheim stuff but a lot of it comes down to perrsonal experience and cash. As far as the filter goes as long as it has a high turnover then you'll be pretty much ok I think. Having said that zebs aren't cheap...so I would always spend as much as you can on the best equipment, in the long run it may save you losing your fish and wasting a lot of money.

Some may disagree but it seems to me the general rule to keeping them, as far as the tank goes is:

1. lots of hiding places, with caves.
2. a high water turnover
3. good aeration.

As for the substrate, it comes down to personal choice. Tom 2600 obvioulsy prefers his without, which certianly has it's benefits...less hassle cleaning, no possibility of pockets of 'bad' water occuring in the substrate which is a possibility with sand.
However my choice is with sand. I believe all fish regardless of whether they are your average community fish, predators or fish used for breeding deserve to have the best enviroment possible. I think we should make the best attempt we can to provide the right enviroment for them rather than make them live in an enviroment that's suited to our hectic lifestyle. If you decide to keep fish then there's work involved, you don't cut corners to make your life easier when you're dealing with live animals.
Having said that, it's probably safer to have no substrate and it's certainly less work. As they say, it's up to you! :D

As for the bogwood. Some say their zebs don't touch the stuff....in fact it seems to be general rule although I do leave a couple of pieces in just in case. :D

As for food, zebs generally prefer meaty foods. I use several different frozen foods, mussel, shrimp, bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp...etc etc plus I also put in some veg one or twice a week, again just in case. :D

I've been very general in my responses just because nearly all your points and questions could easily be a topic in themselves. You could learn so much more by just spending half an hour looking through some of the old topics.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Plastic Mac